FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV - Same Settings - different quality

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Hargreaves
FLV - Same Settings - different quality
on Nov 5, 2006 at 11:13:34 am

Hi,

Could anyone please make any suggestions as to why different pieces of video (of the same origin ie FCP DV exports) encoded through Squeeze on the same settings would come out with such large variations in quality.

I won't go in to too much detail yet as I am just looking for any general comments except to say that all clips have always been DVCam - we're not talking about imported substandard video at all.

The only thing is that the clips that look worse have been filtered in final cut before export - mainly colour correction.

If you want to see examples please go to http://www.designlife.tv

The homepage video is perfection itself whilst the videos in the DECOREX section look horribly compressed yet they were all compressed on the same settings in squeeze.

Many thanks for any help.

James Hargreaves

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: FLV - Same Settings - different quality
on Nov 5, 2006 at 4:10:44 pm

I don't remember if Squeeze has the setting, but is it possible that you are encoding to a predetermined size instead of a specific bit rate? If so, that would explain why longer movies don't look as good as shorter ones.

Return to posts index

James Hargreaves
Re: FLV - Same Settings - different quality
on Nov 11, 2006 at 7:18:45 pm

Hi Charles - Unfortunately I am encoding to bitrate not file size.

It's driving me nuts. I've tried everything to fool it from mastering back to tape, recapturing and encoding - exporting as different filetypes (photo jpg, animation etc) and encoding.

What would make one movie encode so horribly under the same settings that encoded another one so sweetly?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]