FORUMS: list search recent posts

Few Questions

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thesalester
Few Questions
on Oct 15, 2006 at 11:42:47 pm

Im trying to get 300 non-protected DVD`s encoded into WMV,REAL,QT format.
I was going to capture them using a canpus capture card, but looking around here i see i could RIP them, i never really had to rip a dvd.

I need to know whats the best program to rip`em (HIGHEST QUALITY) and the fastest program to encode, im sure i could encode the WMV & REAL files using the same program like procoder which im planning on using but i been hearing about squeez and it encodes a lot faster!!

More CPU the faster encoding time right!?
So the extrra im going to spend on a DUAL XEON VS DUO CORE2, how much faster and the time is going to save help!!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Few Questions
on Oct 16, 2006 at 2:42:11 am

If they are non protected, then just copy the disc to your HDD (there are a number of apps for ripping and separating tracks from a DVD) and then use that as a source in ProCoder. You could use an app like MPEG StreamClip to convert from MPEG-2 to QT first, but there isn't much need for that unless you have problems with the audio. Anyway, once you have your source, use it in ProCoder (make sure you don't have QT 7 installed on the system; use QT 6.5) and you should have no problem encoding to WMV, Real, and QT.

Now, whatever you have heard about Squeeze being faster than ProCoder is absolutely false. Both apps use the same libraries for encoding to most of their formats (the big difference between the two being different encoders for MPEG-2). In fact, ProCoder should be a bit faster because it has better optimized filters and is better at multitasking and multithreading. This is however not to say that you may find some benefit to Squeeze. While ProCoder spanks Squeeze for MPEG-2, Squeeze is much better for Flash (by default at least) and QT Sorenson Video 3 (Squeeze includes the SV3 Pro encoder) encoding.

Return to posts index

mark palius
on Oct 17, 2006 at 3:09:46 pm

Squeeze works with QT 7
Procoder works with QT 6.5

anybody know when/if Procoder will upgrade?

regards,
/mp

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Oct 17, 2006 at 5:02:23 pm

The core team behind ProCoder 2 left Canopus, so an update seems unlikely. However, a completely new version could be possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]