FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add logo to QT H264 and WM9 movies?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David42
Add logo to QT H264 and WM9 movies?
on Oct 13, 2006 at 8:26:24 am

I have an unforseen requirement to paste a logo (front and back) on compressed movies provided by other producers. The movies are standard def 640 x 480, to be posted for downloading from a web site. The movie files may be in WM9 or QT H264 formats.

In my testing, QT h264 movies seem to paste and re-save ok from QuickTime Pro. I remain concerned about artifacting and play hangs at the transitions. I don't want to decompress-recompress, with loss of quality and time/effort.

The WM9 test was unsuccessful. I created a wm9 logo clip, and opened anothe WM9 in Quicktime. QTPro allowed me to copy and paste the two together, but It wanted to save as a .wmv, and couldn't play without crashing QT Player.

Any suggestions? My tool-set is pretty limited; Final Cut Studio, Quicktime Pro, Compressor, and Flip4Mac on a G5

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Add logo to QT H264 and WM9 movies?
on Oct 13, 2006 at 6:30:36 pm

Adding a logo to a QT file is easy. Just save a tif or compatible image format with alpha channels and overlay it on the video in QT by using drag and drop. This keeps the encoded video track the same without the need for recompressing while it just adds a still image track (layer) to the QT file. You must use .mov for this to work though, as .mp4 does not support this.

As far as doing this with a .WMV, while it definitely isn't possible to do this without re-encoding in QT on a mac or any other app that uses the F4M or Popwire decoders, it may be possible on a PC. Although I do not have a enough experience in this regard to tell you how it is done.

Return to posts index

David42
on Oct 13, 2006 at 8:55:30 pm

Thx, Charles.

It sounds like the technique you describe is for overlaying a logo, like the network bug on the news.

What I want to do is append a short clip, a movie of the logo with a bit of motion graphics.

Return to posts index

David42
solve, to add logo WM9 movies?
on Oct 15, 2006 at 12:29:25 am

The Windows Media Encoder seems to offer the same cut and paste functionality as QuickTime Pro. Has anyone tried this?

dw

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

Windows Media File Editor.
Use the file editor to trim the start and end points of a file; add metadata, markers, and script commands; and, for multichannel audio files, control how the files are folded down for stereo playback.

Windows Media Stream Editor.
Use the stream editor to split or combine streams in existing Windows Media files to create files.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: solve, to add logo WM9 movies?
on Oct 16, 2006 at 2:17:44 am

QT can still just do a pasted add to an encoded movie and not have to re-encode the entire clip. If you need to do this for two video clips, then just paste the new segment where you want it to appear and do a Save As. This will give you a movie with two video tracks, but there really shouldn't be any issues because of it.

As far as the Win Media tools, neither of those will work. File Editor is just for extracting segments from longer movies. Stream Editor will let you combine multiple tracks, but they are layered on top of each other but not sequentially. WMV Append (Command Line) will allow you to combine multiple movies sequentially, however it inserts about a half second of black in between each source. If you can live with that, then it will suffice. There is a GUI version available as well (check Softpedia for WMV Append GUIP).

Return to posts index

Bizatch
on Oct 24, 2006 at 10:10:29 pm

Charles,

If you drag and frop your still image, is there a way to make it fade in and fade out?

Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]