FORUMS: list search recent posts

WMV Hardware encoder?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CineMan
WMV Hardware encoder?
on Oct 8, 2006 at 8:09:06 pm

Anyone know if hardware encoders for WMV(WM9) exist? There's a plethora of MPEG hardware encoders, but very little for Windows Media. I'm looking for something to encode hours of QT files (DV codec) into WMV files for a client. PCI cards or full turn-key solutions - just hopefully under $5000. Does this exist?

I guess another option would be to rent one of those extremely expensive systems. Anyone know of a place that rents that kind of equipment in the San Francisco area?

Thanks for any suggestions....

Return to posts index

illclinton
Re: WMV Hardware encoder?
on Oct 9, 2006 at 6:06:17 pm

We're a company in San Francisco and we own a Digital Rapids' StreamZ HD, which can do Live Capture/Compression to WMV9 as well as other codec. Email me if you're interested.

Return to posts index

illclinton
on Oct 9, 2006 at 6:24:12 pm

I forgot mention that we have a Tarari board installed on the same box StreamZ is running. This accelerates WMV9 compression - I've seen it go as high as 1000+ frames per second, which translates to over 30x real time.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Oct 9, 2006 at 10:43:17 pm

Also check out VBrick systems - they have hardware encoders as well.

Return to posts index

mark palius
on Oct 10, 2006 at 6:03:07 pm

Allow me to contribute an unsolicited endorsment for Digital-Rapids.

We bought a (then) maxed out Dell Precision 670, a Digital Rapids 1500 card and StreamPro software not quite 2 years ago to replace and consolidate an aging Pinnacle Stream Factory as well as an obsolete editing and compression box. The Dell + card cost less than a turn key StreamZ and has more horsepower.

There may be better technical support out there then D-R but I'm yet to stumble across it. Dan is both responsive and knowledgeable. I feel it's made the higher entry cost relative to the other boards we looked at very worthwhile or as my boss says, "We got our money's worth."

VBrick may be perfectly excellent I have no direct experience with them so cannot reliably report. My capacity to play with toys exceeds our budget to buy them. If anyone cares to make a tax deductable donation....

Regards,
/mp

Return to posts index

epontius
on Oct 11, 2006 at 5:02:44 am

Vbrick is nice stuff, however it is primarily aimed at capture and compression to streaming content for pushing over intranet/internet and not file compression/conversion.
The company I work for is considering buying a few of their Windows Media appliances for quick "webcast in a box" approach to webcasting department meetings...since the shoebox sized appliance can be configured by the IT department given to just about anyone and then it is relatively plug and play. Video and audio out from a camera plugs into the back of the box along with an ethernet cable plugged from the box to the wall and you're webcasting.

Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]