FORUMS: list search recent posts

Squeeze produces V DARK wmv's and realmedia?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
transamazonian
Squeeze produces V DARK wmv's and realmedia?
on Oct 8, 2006 at 6:20:17 pm

Hi there, I've just moved to using Avid Xpress Pro 4.6 and Sorenson Squeeze 4.3 instead of my previous set-up of Premiere Pro and Matrox export. All the QT and FLVs I make with Squeeze lok fine, but all the Windows Media andrela Media videos I creat using Squueze look HORRIBLE. Way too dark.

...And yet the same source clip exports fine to QT & FLV?

Has anyone else had the same problem? I've tested encoding with V8, V9, and v10 video codecs but no joy. I'm using a PC with Windows Media Player 10.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'vetried monkeying about with Squeeze's filters and almost every setting and I'm going stir crazy here!

Thanks

Return to posts index

mark palius
Re: Squeeze produces V DARK wmv's and realmedia?
on Oct 9, 2006 at 7:27:43 pm

Real encodings tend to come out darker than the source unless one compensates. Real throws out about 98% of the bits. (I.e. I just finished a project: 25 GB source ended up as a 0.5 GB Real file.

Sorenson 4.3 has decent enough Real CODECs. I find the interface simple enough for a beginner to use yet flexible enough to finer tune projects. Work with a short sample of your project to speed up the fine tuning phase. Drag the lighten filter (top left)onto your project (bottom right). How does it come out. Double click on the filter. It'll open up the filter setting page. Change some of the settings. Click OK. drag it onto your project. Make another test encoding. Repeat as necessary until you (or your client) are satisfied.

There are reasons to bitch about Real media and the company that owns it but it has been universal (players for Win, Apple, LINUX & Solaris) for years and makes copmpact files.

I cannot write from experience about Windows Media but I imagine the issue and resolution is similar.

Regards,
/mp

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Oct 9, 2006 at 7:29:40 pm

Squeeze just uses the same libraries for Real and WM encoding as the ones provided by Real and MS themselves, so there really should be no difference in what you can generate as compared to other encoding apps that do the same (like Canopus and Adobe). But, there may be a problem in the way Squeeze is handling the source color transition to the 4:2:0 color space of those codecs. Is there any way you can generate a YUY2, UYVY, or YV12 .AVI?

Return to posts index

transamazonian
on Oct 9, 2006 at 11:42:19 pm

Thanks for your advice Mark and Charles (and hello anyonelse reading!)

I'm generally very happy with using Realmedia and Windows media - but my move from Premiere to Avid may be behind my recent woes, as opposed to Sorenson.

Mark - I've tried monkeying with the Lighten filter and while it does improve things slightly, it compromises the image too much. Also, I think I must be doing something fundamentally wrong to need to lighten the Squeezed files SO much - see sample files below.

Charles - I've got to admit I've searched thru Avid and can't find options to change the colour space of my source to YUV. But you're right it could well be to do with the fact that I'm trying to Squeeze PAL DV footage.

To show you what I mean I've Squeezed a 5 second clip - here are links to the source AVI, and the Squeezed WMV, RealMedia and (for comparison) FLV that I've posted on my site. As you'll see the FLV is a fairly faithful reproduction, but the WMV and RM are WAY too dark.

http://www.transamazonia.com/sorensonproblem/5secondclip.AVI (ORIGINAL AVI - 8meg)
http://www.transamazonia.com/sorensonproblem/5secondclipWindowsmedia_4x3_bb... (183Kb)
http://www.transamazonia.com/sorensonproblem/5secondclipRealmedia_4x3_bb_00... (130Kb)
http://www.transamazonia.com/sorensonproblem/5secondclip256K.flv (85Kb)

Yes, I am using an evaluation version of Squeeze - but we've just gone out and bought two copies of Squeeze (along with the additional On2 codec) for work, and it's fallen to me to get them 'working' as expected. Hence fiddling about on home computer and asking in this forum.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated - the Squeezed files are so dark that I'm sure I can't be the only one in this position. User error is always possible!!

Return to posts index

mark palius
on Oct 10, 2006 at 5:24:27 pm

Take a peek at:

rtsp://media.cc.columbia.edu/law/temp/test/5secondclip8.rmvb

I'll leave it up for a little while but shouldn't leave it on that server indefinitely.

I created it from your AVI using Sorenson Squeeze 4.3.303.17
using these setting:

compression: (my standard starting point)
video:
realvideo10
2 pass vbr
450 Kbps
320x240
29.97 fps
30 seconds/key frame
normal video mode
3 sec latency
loss protection

filter:
brightness 20
white restore amount 5 smoothness 15
black restore amount 5 smoothness 15

It's not an exact duplicate of the AVI's qualities but it's a fair starting point for further tweaking. I don't know your required tolerance for exactness.

Regards,
/mp

BTW, I was unable to open your flash version on either my office desktop box or my editing/compression box which was flash & director installed.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Oct 10, 2006 at 5:36:19 pm

That color format for the AVI (CRAM) is odd. I haven't seen that in a long time. What I would suggest is exporting your movie as either v210 or 10bit. This should give you a format that is easy for Squeeze to translate and work with. I have seen more problems with Squeeze and RGB to YUV color conversions than pretty much anything else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]