FORUMS: list search recent posts

alpha channel in flv

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Steinmann
alpha channel in flv
on Oct 7, 2006 at 3:53:03 am

Using Squeeze with the On2 plugin, I am attempting to create an flv with an alpha channel. While I find the On2 plugin to be very good, I am having difficulty with creating an effective alpha channel that can then be added to a website. The alpha ends up being black.

I export the source file from Final Cut Pro with the alpha in a quicktime format and then use that file to compress in Squeeze.

Documentation from Sorenson is lacking here. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: alpha channel in flv
on Oct 7, 2006 at 4:17:53 am

I assume you know what you are doing, but just for dexterity's stake, what format of QT are you exporting out of FCP?

Return to posts index

Dean Steinmann
on Oct 8, 2006 at 3:50:56 pm

Thanks Charles,

On this machine I have QT 6.5.3 pro and 7.1.2 without the pro key. I am assuming that FCP is using 6.5.3 pro to export.

Dean

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Oct 9, 2006 at 7:20:55 pm

Was there a QT 6.5.3? I only remember it going up to 6.5.2. No matter though, what I was really asking for is the codec that you used to export out of FCP. If you open the movie in QT and view the movie's info, you should be able to find out what codec you are using. Also, it really isn't a good idea to have both QT 7 and QT 6 on the same system OS. I imagine that many issues can occur because of that.

Return to posts index

Dean Steinmann
on Oct 9, 2006 at 8:09:53 pm

There was a 6.5.3, and I have it. I bought the pro key for QT 7 today and will be deleting 6, thanks for the tip.

I am exporting in DV/DVCPRO NTSC.

Are there codecs that support alpha? Someone told me that you can't export a file with an alpha from Final Cut Pro. Can you?

Thanks.

Dean

Return to posts index

Dean Steinmann
on Oct 9, 2006 at 8:48:27 pm

Got it to work by exporting an unrendered sequence from FCP in animation codec, millions of colors plus.

Thanks for your help Charles.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Oct 10, 2006 at 5:32:39 pm

Yep, that was what I was going to suggest. I believe only the Animation codec supports Alpha channels from FCP or QT. I know DV certainly doesn't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]