FORUMS: list search recent posts

downconverting 720p HD to standard def???

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan
downconverting 720p HD to standard def???
by
on Sep 28, 2006 at 4:04:11 pm

I work in uncompressed 720p/59.94 HD in final cut and for the life of me can't figure out a straight forward process of downconverting an edited sequence to 720/486 - 29.97 interlaced standard def. I use Kona 2 presets. Can someone who is obviously more versed in Compressor please go through the steps of exporting an Hd sequence to a standard def 8bit 4:3 aspect ratio with letterboxing.

appreciate it greatly!

Return to posts index

odetoacow
Re: downconverting 720p HD to standard def???
on Sep 28, 2006 at 6:19:56 pm

Create a new sequence in your project with the '720/486 - 29.97 interlaced standard def.' settings and render. Or export with Quicktime conversion. Or use the Media Manager to downconvert. These are pretty well documentented. All methods require some rendering.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Sep 28, 2006 at 8:07:39 pm

What I do with a Kona board is downconvert and play out the 720p sequence to SD SDI and then either print that to tape as 480i or recapture on another station. This is very fast and accurate.

Return to posts index

alan
by
on Sep 29, 2006 at 12:15:37 pm

that's what I've been doing but I thought there must be a way to convert and crop through compressor to keep it digital. I thought I saw someone demonstrate it at NAB but I can't figre it out. As for the response before yours, if there is obvious documentation as to how to do this, I cannot find it!

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Oct 3, 2006 at 3:19:23 am

Well SDI is all digital, so no worries there. While you can use software, in almost every case that I know of, using software to convert from file to file would be much slower than outputting over SDI and recapturing the downconverted-on-the-fly SD SDI signal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]