FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very cool QT to WMV workflow

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Very cool QT to WMV workflow
on Sep 28, 2006 at 2:57:52 am

Hi all...I'm on Macs using mostly FCP. We put video in Powerpoint on a PC and the process of getting a decent QT to WMV that is 640 x 480 and looks good has been painful...until now.

The new version of MPEG Streamclip (squared5.com) now reads QT movies and saves out to AVI. But the big plus is that if you scale it to 640 x 480 and use Apple PhotoJPEG compressor at 100% you can create a very nice looking AVI file that is way smaller than an uncompressed one and the Windows Encoder accepts it. Almost a four minute clip was about 400 megs! Uncompressed it would have exceeded the 4 gig limit.

This new version of MPEG Streamclip is really huge. I made a 640 x 480 WMV clip this way that ended up around 70 megs for four minutes and it looked fabulous, graphics, type and vertical movement on stills etc.

The new MPEG Streamclip is also universal so it runs real nice on my Macbook Pro.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: Very cool QT to WMV workflow
on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:06:33 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 5, 2006 at 7:45:56 pm

I get missing codec in Windows Media Encoder. Do you know where to obtain the codec that will play this AVI? Thx.

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 5, 2006 at 8:30:30 pm

Rich,
Am I missing something? The MPEGStreamclip program seems to be able to put any of my Apple codecs inside of an AVI, but Windows on a Windows computer can't play them and can't find a codec to play them. I'm running Windows Media Encoder V9 on a Windows XP Pro PC. I can see the usefulness of the visually lossless PHotoJPEG codec if only I could make it work. Your insight is appreciated.
-Tom

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 6, 2006 at 11:12:48 pm

Ok, the thing that might make it work is that I have Quicktime loaded on the PC and I have upgraded to QT Pro. Perhaps that is the key, but it sure works great.

Probably QT allows the reading of the PJPEG and the Windows encoder can read it because it is in an AVI wrapper.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Oct 7, 2006 at 2:54:20 pm

So far I haven't gotten access through the Windows encoder or even simply playing the file in WM Player 10. Both say the codec is not available. I do have QT Pro on the machine. I've followed the links to manually search for the codec, but it doesn't exist. You're not running WME in Windows on an Intel Mac are you?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]