FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surround Audio Problem

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JJJohnson
Surround Audio Problem
on Sep 26, 2006 at 1:17:12 pm

This problem is driving me nuts. I need to put 4 discrete channels of audio on a DVD. I am using FCP 5.1.1 (Academic) to edit the video and QT convert the audio to four distinct AIFs. Then I use Compressor 2 to encode. I import Surround Sound Group and put the files in the appropriate places. (L, R, Ls, and Rs.) Then I choose the Dolby 5.1 setting. Target system DVD video, Audio Coding mode 2/2
no compression preset. I submit the file and successfully create an ac3 file.

When I burn the disk the front audio is fine but the rear audio is summed together. I am using a Dolby Digital Processor (Sony EP9ES I think.) and feeding 6 channels into a Yamaha AV receiver which has 6 channel input. Test indicate that the hardware is working properly.

As an experiment I swapped the files around when I was importing then in compressor. The same problem occurred where the surround tracks were summed. So the audio files are not the culprit. Is there some setting that I am overlooking?

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Surround Audio Problem
on Sep 27, 2006 at 12:59:12 am

Are you sure the Sony processor isn't trying to create 6 channels on playback? On my Sony receiver, it has a direct source mode that is the only method that does no processing on the output.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]