FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Hamilton
DVD Compression
on Sep 26, 2006 at 11:39:36 am

I am looking for DVD compression software that allows setting of the GOP structure. I am trying to go for very high quality video (as high as possible) on standard DVD. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bill

Return to posts index

Ed
Re: DVD Compression
by
on Sep 26, 2006 at 2:14:03 pm

My first suggestion is, tell us what platform you're on, or want to be on. :-)
And do you have an authoring program already, or do you want a recommendation for that too?
Ed

[Bill Hamilton] "I am looking for DVD compression software that allows setting of the GOP structure. I am trying to go for very high quality video (as high as possible) on standard DVD. Any suggestions?"

Return to posts index

Bill Hamilton
on Sep 26, 2006 at 2:34:25 pm

I am on Windows, but I may be able to use Mac as well. I ideally would like to compress I frame only. I hope to keep authoring to a minimum.

Basically here is what I am trying to do. We have several video clips used for demonstration purposes in a traveling system. We are currently using a Leitch server with 50Mb/s and I frame only compression (this is probably better than I can get on DVD). The server is overkill, hard to operate for our configuration and not reliable on the road. We are looking into using DVD if the quality can approach what we are using now.

Thanks

Bill

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Sep 26, 2006 at 2:59:32 pm

Now you're getting out of my comfort zone. As for your bit-rate though, there are a number of broadcast
MPEG-2 encoders (I know Grass Valley makes one) that will compress to over 50Mb for broadcast. I don't
know about their I-frame-only encoding, but for very high bit-rate, you might look at broadcast encoders.
Procoder and Main Concept will also compress to very high bit-rates.
Ed

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Sep 27, 2006 at 12:56:54 am

First, DVD doesn't support an all I-frame mode. You can store an all I-frame encode on a disc, but it must be used only as a file, not as a disc that is compatible in STBs. Second, the recommendations of MainConcept and ProCoder are highly backed.

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Sep 26, 2006 at 2:38:00 pm

BTW, a lot of MPEG-2 encoders allow you to play with the GOP. Procoder on PC is great, as is Main Concept.
I use Compressor and Bitvice on Mac, and although I prefer Bitvice, it doesn't allow any GOP settings except
Open or Closed. Compressor allows tweaking.
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]