FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the highest quality I can get onto standard DVD via Compressor/G5/Final Cut Pro?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael pierre
What's the highest quality I can get onto standard DVD via Compressor/G5/Final Cut Pro?
on Sep 16, 2006 at 10:32:40 pm

Hi-

I've got a short piece (about 10 minutes). Shot on the VIPER and then compressed to DVC-PRO HD 1080 23.98.
I've cut within a 23.98 timeline in Final Cut Pro. Now I would like to output my project to DVD at it's highest quality.
Within compressor I see that it's possible to select "HD-DVD", H.264 mpg4 ect.... I've not used these types of compressors before.
Do I need a blue ray burner or HD-DVD burner in order to use these compressors? Or is it possible (since the size of my project is small) to use these compressors and go to a standard def DVD?

I'm just trying to get as much information across as possible.

Return to posts index

epontius
Re: What's the highest quality I can get onto standard DVD via Compressor/G5/Final Cut Pro?
on Sep 17, 2006 at 1:31:50 am

HD and BD are just starting to come out on the market, so not many people have them in their homes yet. I'm not sure if there are any affordable HDDVD or BD authoring packages out on the market yet and don't think burners for either format are readily available either.
HD-DVD, MPEG-4, etc... are outside of the required specs for standard DVD. Needs to be DVD compliant MPEG-2 video. Since this was cut 24p, you might want to investigate creating a 24p DVD.
You may also want to see about outputing the film to HDcam, DVCPro HD, etc... tape to preserve the HD in case you want to master it to one of the HD disc formats in the future.

Erik

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: What's the highest quality I can get onto standard DVD via Compressor/G5/Final Cut Pro?
on Sep 18, 2006 at 5:41:34 pm

I am confused, was the source Uncompressed 1080p24 and then transcoded for editing to DVCPRO HD (1920x1080), or was the source 1080p24 tape and then captured to 1080i30 DVCPRO HD (1280x1080)? Not a big deal, just curious.

Anyway, to create a standard DVD, you do not want to use any compressor other than the presets for MPEG-2 SD. Your best bet is to start with a preset and adjust from there to best target your encode. Remember, DVD has certain limitations as to how high the bit rate can go and other parameters, so just be careful to not extend your boundaries.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Sep 18, 2006 at 10:23:25 pm

It started out as VIPER footage that was shot to and HDCAM-SR 1 Deck. We shot at 1080P 23.98. Then we took the HDCAM SR Tape and went directly to HARD DRIVE via Final Cut Pro/AJA Kona 3... the media was captured as DVC-PRO HD 1080 23.98.

We're doing a two pass VBR within standard def. All settings are set to "best". So hopefully things will work out.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Sep 19, 2006 at 3:49:08 am

Two pass VBR is broken in Compressor 2. It sucks. Use CBR.
Ed

[Michael Pierre] "We're doing a two pass VBR within standard def. All settings are set to "best". So hopefully things will work out."

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Sep 19, 2006 at 6:08:50 pm

??? 2 pass VBR isn't broken in C2. If you try to enable some of the "advanced" settings, then yes, it will take forever and a day to encode, but I never have been that fond of C2's advanced settings in the first place. You can certainly do a two pass MPEG-2 encode from Compressor with automatic set however, which in my tests still results in a good encode.

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Sep 19, 2006 at 7:09:59 pm

Basing it on these Charles:
Ed

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=155&postid=...

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=155&postid=...

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=8&postid=89...

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=8&postid=86...

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=20&postid=8...

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=20&postid=8... This one mentions the Apple discussion forum talking all about
Compressor 2 problems.

But this post says Apple says it's fixed in 5.1:
>>>Chris Babbit said:
>>>I was told by an Apple rep at NAB that the Compressor 2-Pass VBR problem is fixed in FCP 5.1<<<

[Charles Simonson] "??? 2 pass VBR isn't broken in C2. If you try to enable some of the "advanced" settings, then yes, it will take forever and a day to encode, but I never have been that fond of C2's advanced settings in the first place. You can certainly do a two pass MPEG-2 encode from Compressor with automatic set however, which in my tests still results in a good encode."

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Sep 21, 2006 at 6:54:52 pm

Ed, not to say that Compressor doesn't have its fair share of issues (I still have problems with two FCP stations that can't use Compressor because of "failures to connect"), but I have most certainly been able to encode MPEG-2 VBR in two-pass mode with Compressor 2. I don't use Compressor 2 for MPEG-2 encoding (or any encoding really) that much, but my most recent tests of VBR MPEG-2 2pass encoders for the mac in June showed that Compressor had no problems as long as Automatic was used for the visual settings. Here is what I reported in a post from June 9, 2006:

The following is an idea of encoding times that should give a bit more detail. The source was a 480p square pixel 16:9 uncompressed 10bit QT movie using a Quad G5 w/ 5GB RAM and OS X 10.4.6. The times from each encoding without audio (1x=Real-time) : Popwire Compression Master 4.0.1 = .4x/pass; MainConcept encoder 1.5 = .7x/pass; Apple Compressor 2.1 = 1.1x/pass; ffmpegX 0.0.9w4 mpeg2enc = 1.5x/pass; ffmpegX 0.0.9w4 ffmpeg = 1.5x/pass; Sorenson Squeeze 4.3.3 = 1.75x/pass; Innobits BitVice 1.7 = 1.9x/pass; Digigami MegaPEG Pro HD 3.3 (best setting) = 2.4x/pass; Autodesk Cleaner 6.5 = 2.6x/pass.

Return to posts index

Michael Pierre
on Sep 22, 2006 at 4:51:15 pm

Charles-

What program do you use to compress? What else is good? other options?

Michael

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Sep 22, 2006 at 5:44:40 pm

It depends on the source really. But one of the first apps I usually try to see if it can generate a really good encode is the MainConcept Encoder. It has the options for encoding like Digigami and the speed of Compression Master (Episode). But there are sometimes where an app like BitVice is the only thing that will help me get the best encode. There are a number of MPEG-2 software encoders on the mac, and all of the ones I mentioned above are worthy. My suggestion is to edit out a 1 to 2 minute segment and try that with the various encoders you have at your disposal with the settings you need to use. This will give you a good idea firsthand.

Return to posts index

rafalaos
on Sep 28, 2006 at 1:56:52 pm

Hi, I often send 8b Unc clips to make MPG2 for DVDs with Compressor. Usually I film in PAL, and I print PAL DVDs. I work with 2 passes and VBR. I work with the "Frame Control" off, because the output have the same parameters (Size, fields order..) than the input. Untill now Compressor has been working quite well. I set some time the Frame Control in Automathic, and the same. I've tryed some times set the Frame Control in Custon to make some standard convertions and if I set high quality settings Compressor gets killing slow.
salud,
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]