FORUMS: list search recent posts

HELP!!!!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran Matthew
HELP!!!!
on Sep 11, 2006 at 10:35:55 pm

Hi Folks,

this is a follow up to my post below. The deadline is looming and I have no idea how to create streaming AVIs!

I'm using Cleaner, but no matter what I do to the size of the frames or the data rate limits, the video stream still hits over 100 kbits/s nowhere near the 56k specified.

Is it even possible to make AVIs streamable at these data rates? The thumbnail sized blurry videos with horrible sound say no, but this is what the client has asked for!

Please help!

K

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: HELP!!!!
on Sep 12, 2006 at 2:27:57 pm

I think AVI is best suited for a Progressive at best download. AVI is not easy to compress, especially for Web. I think a better strategy for your client is either an MPEG-1 encode or Windows Media with version 7 capability. With those two it will work on almost any running PC out there and both MPEG-1 and WMV will compress much easier than AVI ever will.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Sep 12, 2006 at 2:34:06 pm

I haven't done anything that small in years. All I have to offer is, if the client wants something to
stream at 56k, I hope you're actually making it 48k or so, because most 56k systems are actually 53k (at their best),
and when you take into account the inefficiencies and overhead, you're really talking much less than that.
Now you've got an even worse looking low-resolution video (with lousy audio). My humble suggestion is to educate the client.
If they still really have customers on dial-up, then they shouldn't be trying to stream video to them. It will
look like crap no mattter what you do. A well designed web presentation without video will impress their
clients so much more. If they really need video, then do it as a download, not streaming.
As for your encode question, are you perhaps not adding the size of the audio rate to the video rate to get the total encode rate,
thereby giving you 100kbs rather than 56k?
Sorry, I know most of this isn't what you asked, but it *is* the answer (according to me anyway).
Ed

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Sep 12, 2006 at 5:04:57 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, I've taken on board your suggestions!

Kind regards

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]