FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with Squeeze basics?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
Help with Squeeze basics?
on Sep 3, 2006 at 11:19:50 pm

I'm fairly new to compressing video for download on the Web, though I understand the basics (in theory).

I'd been having a problem finding the right codecs to compress an avi into a QT file for progressive download that wasn't microscopic in format size, was decent quality and able to load before Xmas. I'm on PC and use PPro 1.5 for editing, and their codecs were fine for wmv but not working well for QT.

I downloaded the trial version of Squeeze 4 Compression Suite to see what it could do and was very impressed with the intuitive interface as well as the "intelligent presets."

In one attempt I made a QT file that loaded quickly and played great on both Mac and PC. My question for the forum regards what I should tweak to get the motion to be less jerky looking.

The smoothness of the motion in the QT file wasn't terrible, but was smoother in the wmv file I created out of PPro. I'm sure that's tweakable somewhere in the settings and am wondering if anyone can give me a "quick and dirty" answer around what should be tweaked to address this. Frame rate was set to 29.97, so I'm assuming it would be somewhere else, but don't really know enough about data transfer rates and such to understand what to tweak where to improve the jerkiness. Also--despite my being impressed with Sorenson--it's 450 bucks to buy. Any opinions on forking out the cash for it? Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Help with Squeeze basics?
on Sep 4, 2006 at 9:03:07 am

First, I would try adjusting your deinterlacing settings. That is most likely the cause of the motion problems you are noting, especially if the source is 29.97 and you are encoding to 29.97 (ie. no change). Second, about Squeeze... it is a good and intuitive app for beginners, and that's about all I can say for it. For more power and better control, ProCoder (even ProCoder Express) on the PC and Compression Master on the mac are better choices, although each are probably more daunting to tweak than Squeeze.

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on Sep 5, 2006 at 5:20:57 pm

Thanks for the deinterlacing tip. I'll try that and see if it helps. Given my newbie status, and not knowing how to tweak in a user-friendly app like Squeeze, something like ProCoder might be too steep of a learning curve--but thanks for the opinion--I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
on Sep 5, 2006 at 5:42:41 pm

Couldn't find the pulldown for deinterlace settings--maybe because the footage was exported from PPro deinterlaced? I dunno. Any suggestions on where to find it and also what to change them to for the desired effect? Thanks again-
Ruby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]