FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV compression - **painfully** slow... anyone else?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
FLV compression - **painfully** slow... anyone else?
on Aug 30, 2006 at 6:54:51 pm

Does anyone else find compressing Flash 8 video via On2 VP6 really, really, amazingly.... slow? Painfully slow if using Squeeze and annoyingly slow using ON2's stand-alone encoder. We're talking like 3 hours on a dual G5 2.0 via Squeeze.... for a 3 MINUTE video (two pass). Like taking a step back in time.

Return to posts index

ryanservant
Re: FLV compression - **painfully** slow... anyone else?
on Aug 30, 2006 at 9:25:22 pm

No,
I am running a quad 2.5 with 2 gb ram compresing a 33 min dv ntsc timeline to .flv ( 240x180 ) and it its going to take 45 minutes using FCP

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Aug 31, 2006 at 3:33:10 pm

Maybe it's the size I'm encoding? 480x360, 2-pass, best quality.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Sep 1, 2006 at 10:20:48 pm

Nope, size shouldn't matter that much. Increasing framesize will increase encoding times of course, but for 480x360 compared to 320x240, the difference shouldn't be that extreme.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Aug 31, 2006 at 4:43:15 am

If FLV encoding is a major focus of your encoding, I would suggest checking out Popwire's encoder in Compression Master. There is a builtin encoder and a secondary encoder that they licensed and optimized for the G5 and Intel ($99 + the cost of CM). The Popwire encoder is incredibly fast; it is by far the fastest FLV8 encoder (based off of On2's encoder at least) I have ever used, on any platform.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]