average size for 5 minute video

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arty
average size for 5 minute video
by
on Aug 25, 2006 at 2:48:22 pm

i know it's hard to say...
but let's say i have a video in final cut pro...nothing to dramatic...a 5 minute marketing video
i want to compress it down for the web...
320x240

i bring it out then squeeze it in squeeze...

what would you say the file size should be ?

and is there another way i should do it ?
i tried bringing it out in compressor it didn't seem to be giving me good quality

i'm on a mac g-5 duak 2.7

Return to posts index

Ed
Re: average size for 5 minute video
by
on Aug 25, 2006 at 6:19:51 pm

The file size can be whatever you want it to be. If you compress it to play back for the slowest DSL (384kb),
you'll get one size. If you compress it to play back for 512kb or 1.5mb, you'll get 2 other sizes. It's simple math,
the data rate you choose (a kb is .125 of a KB, which 1,000 of those KBs add up to a MB, close at least), so data rate times length
of video= file size
kbs=kilobit per second
KBS=kilobyte per second
MB=megabyte per second
Instead of remembering 5th grade math, though, you can use the handy AJA Data Rate Converter (OSX):
http://www.aja.com/html/support_kona3_swd.html
Scroll down to: AJA Data Rate Calculator Application (Version 2)
This OS X software application calculates data rates and storage requirements for a given video size, format, and frame rate. It's great for both KONA and Io users as a resource for configuring systems and determining storage requirements.
Ed

Return to posts index

Arty
by
on Aug 26, 2006 at 11:36:21 am

this data calculator only shows video sizes
what about 320x240

i understand the math part of it...
but i've been exporting the video out of fcp thru the quicktime conversion
i get an ok quailty video but it doesn't seem like a small enough file
so then i put it thru squeeze but it's not really working so well

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Aug 27, 2006 at 11:19:04 pm

I linked to the wrong calculator. FFMPEGX has a calculator for all kinds of sizes, rates, etc.
http://ffmpegx.com/download.html

I gave you the math because you didn't say (and you still haven't said) what target bit-rate you want.
Choosing your intended audience's connection speed is one the most important things in determining
your bit-rate, which in turn determines your video's final file size. You asked: [Arty] "i bring it out then squeeze it in squeeze...

what would you say the file size should be ?"

And I answered what the file size should be is based on what connection speed your audience has (hence the math). Squeeze should be
making good looking videos at 320x240 at even the lowest 300kbs rate (and if you do the math you'll see what the
file size should be- or use the new FFMPEGX link I sent you). If you want more help, you've got to give more information.
Ed

Return to posts index

arty
by
on Aug 30, 2006 at 2:53:28 pm

thanks my man

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]