FORUMS: list search recent posts

Winows Media Stream files on Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Bunch
Winows Media Stream files on Mac
on Aug 19, 2006 at 2:53:21 pm

Hi,

I have been asked to digitize some video and then create "windows media stream files" that will be placed on the client's stream server.

I used Quicktime Pros and Flip4Mac Pro version to create the WMV files, but the client said that they are not streaming files.

In the advanced settings, I have set the complexity to "Online Fast" with the idea that this sets a streaming flag in the file header, but this seems to be the only thing that is even vaguely related to streaming.

Is there something I am missing? Is there other software I need? Is it just that it needs to be on a stream server?

Here's a link to the video...

http://larsbunch.com/Virgin_Records/

Thank you for any help,

Lars

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Winows Media Stream files on Mac
on Aug 19, 2006 at 8:01:29 pm

If you can exort AVI files to a PC and use the free Windows Encoder you will get the best quality encodes and can set up the clip for a streaming server. It is a klunky workflow but your client will appreciate your effort. If you will be doing more of this it is a good idea to work this out now and have a workflow in place for future projects.

IMO Flip4Mac is excellent for exporting right off a FCP timeline or QT Pro to make a WMV movie. But it is not as good at making large (640 x 480) WMV or for your needs...a streaming file.

Logically it's best done on a PC.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Aug 20, 2006 at 7:19:21 pm

My guess is that the main issue is that you are encoding these files using VBR, and the streaming server probably only wants CBR encodes.

Return to posts index

Lars Bunch
on Aug 22, 2006 at 3:18:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I ended up doing the export to AVI and compressing in Windows.

Lars

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]