FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac G5 - any bump in processing speed?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Launer
New Mac G5 - any bump in processing speed?
on Aug 12, 2006 at 5:06:48 am

I have a 2x2.5Ghz - single core G5. The new Intel-based Macs are supposed to be "up to" 2 times faster than the PowerMac G5 quad.

So, if I go to the new G5 (the dualie 3.0) - will I be seeing Compressor do it's stuff in 1/4 the time? I work largely off an HD uncompressed timeline (AJA KONA 2), and to compress a feature takes a few days (maybe a day and a half).

In the past, Apple likes to tell you how fast their processors are, but if the software doesn't enable it, well, who cares?

So what could I realistically expect? Anybody with real world experience on this?

Thanks,

Dale

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: New Mac G5 - any bump in processing speed?
on Aug 13, 2006 at 11:20:45 pm

No experience on the Mac Pros yet, but I would expect Compressor to do a pretty good job on lowering your encoding times on it. Of course, you will need the Compressor version that comes with FCP 5.1 for Universal Binary compatibility, but that shouldn't be unexpected. The main issue with the Mac Pro is if some of your apps that you use regularly aren't UB yet (like Adobe's apps). In that case, those apps will likely run faster on your Dual G5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]