FORUMS: list search recent posts

URGENT - need to make uncompressed AVI

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
duffbeer911
URGENT - need to make uncompressed AVI
on Aug 9, 2006 at 10:56:52 pm

hi all - this is sort of a follow on from my previoous post...except now I need to urgently make a PC compatible uncompressed AVI from a qt file. Like i said before we have macs with compressor/cleaner/FCP/after effects - and one PC with squeeze on it..... but like I said before squeeze won't make an AVI! does anyone know of some freeware that will do this? or a way to do it on the macs? any help would be great!

thanks!

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
and while im at it
on Aug 9, 2006 at 11:32:26 pm

while I'm at it - it might be worth mentioning that squeeze won't convert to .WAV either.

We bought squeeze to take care of all our PC encoding needs.....but silly me overlooked the two most obvious formats....avi and wav

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: and while im at it
on Aug 10, 2006 at 1:50:07 am

You must have Quicktime Pro...Cant you simply do an export and choose AVI, then choose None in the compression settings...that's it.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
Re: and while im at it
on Aug 10, 2006 at 2:14:05 am

yeah I've got QT Pro on the macs - but again when I try to do what you suggest the file either doesn't play the entire length or doesn't show any video. I did a search on that and found that there are some complications with rendering uncompressed avi from QTPro on a mac. and I did notice that when you select "none" it is actually labelled "apple none" - i wonder if this is different from normal none (?)

I'm just so surprised that Squeeze 4.3 doesn't do .AVI or .WAV - we have squeeze running watch folders on our XSAN so it would be great to set them up for these file types.

I have since found an old copy of Cleaner 5 and it is currently chugging away on the PC.

Can anyone expand on why Squeeze doesn't have these outputs? I do understand .AVI is pretty dated.....but what about .WAV?

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
argh....still got problems
on Aug 10, 2006 at 6:40:12 am

ok, so cleaner 5 finally finished encoding.....but it stopped at the 4Gb filesize limit! the drive is NTFS. Does anyone know a way around this? i've been googling around and it's gotta have something to do with openDML....but I'm lost.

Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: argh....still got problems
on Aug 10, 2006 at 3:00:25 pm

Some thoughts.

The Uncompressed AVI file might be quite large so that it may be "choking" on playback.
Is there a specific reason why you must use uncompressed AVI? If your source is DV or DVCPro50 you can use those codecs for AVI.

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
on Aug 10, 2006 at 10:49:46 pm

hi thanks for the reply - the AVI file will be VERY large, but we are ok with that (we've got 10Tb fibrechannel X-San), but it's not even getting to that stage. It stops at the 4Gb limit.

see http://neuron2.net/LVG/filesize.html

and this person has a very similar experience to me
http://www.newtek.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-21698.html
like him I also have my HD formated NTFS

the reason behind this is that we have a client requesting an uncompressed AVI to be streamed off some sort of server and projected at a museum. We work in Blackmagic 10bit. we have suggested numerous better formats.

I guess this particular instance aside, I'm really kicking myself for getting squeeze now because it's turning out to be not as versatile as I expected.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Aug 11, 2006 at 3:07:54 pm

As I said earlier, you just need to convert this from a 10bit QT to a v210 AVI. Both are the same format so there should not be any issue. AVISynth and a combination of GraphEdit or VirtualDub on the PC should be able to do this for you with the right plugins. Likely, the simplest way to do this is to print to tape from FCP and then recapture on a PC in an app like VirtualDub. If you have a AJA or BlackMagic capture card, then this is really easy as there are drivers for both platforms. Also, instead of capturing v210, becuase this is only for display purposes, I would recommend capturing the AVI in YUY2 format.

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
on Aug 13, 2006 at 1:43:53 am

wow what a lot of effort for something I thought would be reasonably straight forward....oh well.

anyways...... do you know why they would have made Squeeze not able to output .AVI and .WAVs? Seems silly to revert back to cleaner 5 just to convert some audio files.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Aug 13, 2006 at 11:16:37 pm

How is what I suggested any more effort than using Squeeze to convert to AVI? If you have the right tools, then it doesn't require any more effort at all. In fact, I would bet that printing to tape and then recapturing would be faster than a software conversion anyway.

If you have seen any of my previous posts on the subject, you will note what my personal opinion of Squeeze is. There are way too many issues and limitations for me to recommend it to anyone who wants to use it beyond its default settings. And as I stated, you shouldn't need to go back to Cleaner 5, as VD and GE are both capable of doing what you need. But if Cleaner 5 works for you (Cleaner 5 was a pretty darn good app in its day and is good to just keep lying around for a rainy day in any case), then great.

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
on Aug 14, 2006 at 3:19:57 am

"How is what I suggested any more effort than using Squeeze to convert to AVI?"

Because our PC only has squeeze installed, nothing else. It is connected to our edit suites via X-SAN. It's purpose was meant to be purely an encoder, so that the suites are not held up. To do what you suggest (if I understand correctly) would mean printing back out to SP tape in our case, putting a blackmagic card into the PC, installing VD, capturing, and then encoding.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Aug 14, 2006 at 6:33:14 am

VD and GE are free apps for the PC and both can work from either file based or tape based sources.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]