FORUMS: list search recent posts

making a HD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Core
making a HD DVD
by
on Aug 9, 2006 at 8:57:46 pm

I'm new to the high definition video so I hope anyone can help me a bit further, the thing is I'm editing a HDV project in Avid Xpresspro HD.
The result (30 min)has to be beamed in high def in a museum.
So my question is; is it already possible to make HD DVD's (HD DVD or Blue ray)
And is it possible to decode it in sorenson squeeze or something.

Core

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: making a HD DVD
on Aug 9, 2006 at 10:40:43 pm

Personally, I wouldn't worry about HD DVD at this time until the creation process becomes more prevalent and reliable. Currently, Apple's DVD Studio Pro can build HD DVD projects (with verying degrees of success depending on features implented), but should really only be used with MPEG-2 assets. On the PC, ULead MovieFactory 5 can build HD DVD projects, and from what I understand, success is more likely. But again, ULead only works with MPEG-2 assets.

This wouldn't be a problem for you as you are already using HDV sources, but the thing is, for roughly the same price as an HD DVD player, you can buy a small PC or mac mini and put the video on the computer's hard drive and play out over DVI. This would allow you to use a much higher bit rate, and would also allow you to use the native HDV edited project source for play out instead of having to re-encode it to fit 30 minutes of HD onto a dual layer DVD+R.

As far as decoding, I don't know what you're looking to do there. If you want to use the edited HDV project as a source to transcode to other formats in Squeeze, then you should be fine. If you are asking if Squeeze can decode an HD DVD disc, then no. The only PC software that I know of that can play back HD DVDs is the software included with the Toshiba laptops.

Return to posts index

Core
by
on Aug 9, 2006 at 11:04:49 pm

thanks for your reply,
playing it from a hard drive is tempting it would show the full quality but the problem is the film has to play 6 day's a week 8 ours a day for 2 month's so that's not an option I think

Core

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Aug 10, 2006 at 4:13:12 am

On a non-internet connected PC that has a motherboard which doesn't require much cooling (like the mac mini with the core solo proc), I would expect reliability to be quite good. By using software like VLC, you could continuously repeat the movie. I recommend this because my personal experience with my HD DVD player and using DVD-R discs has not been that positive.

Return to posts index

Core
by
on Aug 10, 2006 at 11:13:19 am

ok I'm going to check this out that would make live a lot easyer
I have a meeting with the museum guys tonight
I don't like to use techniek that is that new (hd dvd)

Core

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]