FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor settings for uncompressed AVI

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George
Compressor settings for uncompressed AVI
on Aug 9, 2006 at 1:20:33 am

I am using FCP5, Compressor and Flip4Mac Studio HD.

I take a 15 minute 8bit YUV QT into Compressor, Quicktime Conversion or directly to QT Pro and set output for AVI, compression - none.

The AVI file is 3 times as big as the uncompressed 4:2:2 QT.

And the first minute of the AVI video covers the entire QT timeline. I can't play more than a minute of the program in Flip4Mac enhanced QT player.

When I take the AVI to Windows, WMP says the file is corrupt, won't show or play.

Lots of posts talk about exporting uncompressed AVI files. What codec/settings work in Compressor/QT Conversion/QT Pro for uncompressed AVI?

George

Light Images

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Compressor settings for uncompressed AVI
on Aug 9, 2006 at 2:59:24 am

Your source is 8bit YUV; when you convert to AVI with QT Pro, you are converting to 24bit RGB, thus the three times larger size. You definitely do not want to go this route! F4M is just an extension for Windows Media 9 in QT Player and there is not separate player, so I am at a loss as to what you mean here. If you need to convert the QT movie for PC compatibility, convert it to 10bit so that apps that can read and play v210 files will be compatible with it. Media Player Classic and sometimes VirtualDub will work fine with this type of file. VLC is another option. If you need to compress on a PC, then ProCoder and Squeeze should work fine as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]