FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I compress for DVD to look good on a Computer AND a TV

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chicagoEditor
Can I compress for DVD to look good on a Computer AND a TV
on Aug 3, 2006 at 8:33:00 pm

Taking footage shot on Beta (interlaced) and edited on an AVID. I've had interlacing explained to me over and over, but the question remains. I would love to get a YES or NO. and if yes, what Compression Software do you use or do I need a hardware solution.
At this point I tell clients no and then they go other places and have no problem, so I'm constantly second guessing myself.

Please Please,
I'll be your best friend for a straight answer!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Can I compress for DVD to look good on a Computer AND a TV
on Aug 4, 2006 at 3:16:08 am

If you deinterlace (either delete one field or blend the two together) it will look better on a computer, especially LCD panels, but might look soft on regular TVs. So it's a tradeoff. Interlacing looks bad on LCD's and computer monitors because they do not draw fields the same way as CRT TVs.

However if you shoot film or true progressive video, (but you said Beta) you would have a decent result for both computers and TVs.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Can I compress for DVD to look good on a Computer AND a TV
on Aug 7, 2006 at 4:03:34 pm

Personally, I don't like deinterlacing for DVD. It can look really soft on a SD NTSC TV, and a good DVD player can do a good job deinterlacing by itself when it projects to a fixed pixel display, like LCD or Plasma.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]