FORUMS: list search recent posts

trying to find device that will encode analog or digital video into highly compressed mpg1, WMV, etc.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cdagvid
trying to find device that will encode analog or digital video into highly compressed mpg1, WMV, etc.
on Aug 3, 2006 at 1:16:46 am

I'm trying to find out if there's a device or piece of hardware out there that I can plug a DV, DVD, or analog deck into via firewire, component or composite inputs that will then encode the video signal into highly compressed mpeg1 or Windows Media files or the likes.

We currently have multiple Avid suites that we do this with by using transcoding software like Cleaner or Sorenson Squeeze, but our clients are starting to request longer clips to be converted into these formats. Our current workflow is fine for short cips, but with the longer clips our clients are asking for (some up to two hours long), the digitizing and transcoding process just takes up way too much time and hard drive space on our Avids. So I'm trying to se if there's something out there that we can mount in a rack with some decks and do these conversions without having to use our editing systems. I've posted a similar thread on some other forums and searched the internet...al to no avail, so if anyone can give me some brand names or at least point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: trying to find device that will encode analog or digital video into highly compressed mpg1, WMV, etc.
on Aug 3, 2006 at 6:04:20 pm

Check out Digital Rapids (digital-rapids.com).

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: trying to find device that will encode analog or digital video into highly compressed mpg1, WMV, etc.
on Aug 7, 2006 at 3:59:30 pm

Assuming you want to do this on the cheap compared to a DR solution, the Mainconcept Encoder can take in a DV stream and encode it directly to MPEG-1. (So can Squeeze for that matter, but quality won't be as good.) With the MC encoder app, you could use an ADS Pyro A/V Link box (component, s-video, composite ins) and encode all your sources to MPEG-1 in RT. As well, you could do the same for WM9 with the free Windows Media Encoder app on the PC.

http://www.adstech.com/products/API-555/intro/api555_intro.asp?pid=API-555
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/?id=825

Return to posts index

cdagvid
on Aug 14, 2006 at 11:54:20 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. I'm a defense contractor, and we have some fiscal year end money to buy some high-end production toys with...

With that being said, I checked into Digital Rapids, and spoke with one of their sales reps. The solutions they offer are exactly what I was looking for. Not cheap mind you ($14k), but exactly what I was looking for. So thanks for the input. I knew a turnkey solution had to exist out there somewhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]