FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing for DVD - HELP!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MissDivaGirl
Compressing for DVD - HELP!
on Aug 2, 2006 at 10:21:16 pm

Hello! I am needing to compress a project that is 1 hour and 30 minutes. It is 10bit uncompressed video. What is your recommendation on compressing to fit on one DVD? Is this possible and if so, at what rate should I compress? Should it be a constant or variable compression? I can also do dual layer if this is better? Same questions... what rate and variable or constant?

I use Compressor out of FCP. I currently use 7.2 and it looks wonderful, but too big to put on one DVD. Trying not to go to dual if I can keep quality pretty high. If not, then will go to dual.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Compressing for DVD - HELP!
on Aug 3, 2006 at 3:27:35 am

Yes....7.2 is also probably too big for some DVD players (bitrate too high). How are you encoding your audio track? AC3? If not definately encode it to AC3 using Compressor.

If your program has a minimum number of scenes with a lot of motion, you would benefit from Variable bitrate encoding which Compressor does VERY poorly. You might consider BitVice or Main Concept encoders if you will do more of these longer encodes.

Otherwise you might be stuck with a low 5.2-5.6 mbps Constant bitrate out of compressor using AC3 for the audio in order to fit it on one disc.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

MissDivaGirl
Re: Compressing for DVD - HELP!
on Aug 3, 2006 at 1:45:22 pm

Thank you so much for the reply! I did compress the audio as an AC3 file. I also compressed at 7.2 variable and 5.6 Constant and 5.6 - 7.2 variable overnight... so now I have all three versions to choose from. Thank you for the help!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]