FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jerky FLVs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Taplin
Jerky FLVs
on Jul 24, 2006 at 5:28:27 pm

Hi

I'm getting jerky FLVs from QT regardless of source codecs ie M100, Sorenson, H.264.

I've tried:

Cleaner 6.5 (really jerky)
Sorenson Squeeze (slightly jerky)
Flix (slightly jerky)

I've tried numerous combinations of settings the only constant being the size 640x360.

Any ideas?

Andy Taplin

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Jerky FLVs
on Jul 24, 2006 at 5:51:09 pm

Hard to tell your problem without seeing a sample of the file. Only thing that comes to mind is that you are encoding to too large of a frame size and bit rate for the computer it is being played back on. FLV is not really intended to be used at above 480x360 and high bit rates for across-the-board smooth playback on all systems.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 25, 2006 at 2:46:48 am

Also 15 frames per second might help. But in general i too find that many FLV's I play back off the web just seem to jerk along. I don't like it. user penetration be damned, i am reluctant to use it on our site for demos because of the iffy playback.

Is "iffy" really a word? If so, it describes FLV's for me...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Jul 25, 2006 at 7:41:25 am

It's a shame about the jery playback because flvs integrate nicely into Flash interfaces.

Maybe Adobe can sort this out now they own Macromedia?

Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Jul 25, 2006 at 7:39:25 am

Thanks

I'm using FLVs in a Flash CD-ROM so it's not a bandwith issue. I'm aiming for 1000KB so that the video will good with no pixellation. It's 16:9 and it's jerky even at 512x288 which is as small as I can go.

If I can get smooth MPEG-1, WMV, QT at this size and data rate why not FLV. Maybe it's just an inferior technology?

Andy

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jul 25, 2006 at 3:16:10 pm

I wasn't referring to it being an internet bandwidth issue, but rather an issue with the decoder needing to decode so many bits. And unfortunately, in order to get really good looking FLV with v7 or 8, you need to use a fair amount of bits to encode (no moreso than many other codecs, but still enough), I would say even more for CD-ROM distribution. This is one of the primary reasons why I still use Director and MPEG-1 for my CD-ROM authoring.

FLVv8 looks great for web distribution at smaller sizes where it has been heavily optimized. However, the large-format space is not something that seems to have retained much attention from the developers yet, and thus you are noting its shortcomings. As it stands, decoding FLVv8 requires too much processing power for larger sizes to be really worth it IMO.

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Jul 26, 2006 at 7:47:44 am

Thanks Charles

It's a real shame about Flash video not working tht well for large size CD-ROM as the interface design is better in Flash and easy to re-purpose for the web.

Andy

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jul 26, 2006 at 5:00:42 pm

I can't think of anything that can be done in Flash that can't be done in Director (without some modding at least), but I can understand why some designers are more comfortable in Flash than Director. If you really like Flash, then design the UI in Flash and import the SWF into Director and use actions to initiate a movie start (encoded with MPEG-1).

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Jul 26, 2006 at 5:58:20 pm

Thanks Charles

My designer much prefers Flash but we'll look at your suggestion for importing into director.

Andy

Return to posts index

Post Man
on Aug 29, 2006 at 3:37:17 am

Do they playback 'jerky' on more than one computer?
I got caught in an endless loop, trying to successfully encode some FLVs which kept playing back with stepping, no matter what, only to find they were encoded fine - it was my computer that played them back badly.

see if that helps ...

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Aug 29, 2006 at 11:48:46 am

Thanks

In my case I don't think it's the PC, I think it's just that FLVs are inherentlyr 'Jerky'. Sometimes it's quite subtle but compared to WMV, QuickTime and MPEG, FLVs just not as smooth.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]