FORUMS: list search recent posts

sorenson presets for web?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dale
sorenson presets for web?
by
on Jul 22, 2006 at 10:01:54 am

Just wanted to throw my workflow out there to do with compressing video for the web (progressive download)
I'm new to it- reasonably happy with my results but thought i'd run a few things up the flagpole.

I export out of avid as QT movie (animation best quality) 320x240 and select sq pixel 16x9.

Sorenson- I just use the presets- Large- about 900kpb/s, medium about 400kpb/s, small about 200 kpb/s. This encompasses QT, Windows media, MPEG4 and Real Media.

My q's...

1: the presets though a little "furry looking" seem a fair quality but is it worth squeezing a little more out of them? (I'm working in dv25-PAL)

2: In regards to 400kb/s what can this file type be used for? reading around the forums here suggests 200 kpbs for dial up and around that 900kb/s for broadband.

3: is it worth deinterlacing the files being they will play on progressive computer monitors?

4: the producer has enquired with me about increasing the screen size of the 200kb/s file... is it worth trying this or should dial up people just have to deal with a tiny size?

5: Any other worthwhile tips- if u have time?

Regards,
Dale...

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: sorenson presets for web?
on Jul 24, 2006 at 3:10:25 pm

1.) You could try tweaking, but depending on the codec and source, you might not be able to squeeze much more out of it. Make sure you have two-pass and VBR selected.

2.) You are correct in that the "medium" could be left out if necessary. You certainly want to have both a "high" and "low" quality version available, and medium is generally there for dial-up users who want something better than the low version, but don't want to spend the time to download the high version.

3.) Yes, I would recommend deinterlacing.

4.) At 24Kbps, the largest I would go is a total of under 80000 pixels (W x H). You could bump that up to around 100000 total pixels if you were to use a bit rate around 35 - 40Kbps (~300kbps).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]