FORUMS: list search recent posts

wmv to mov

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
wmv to mov
on Jul 20, 2006 at 6:27:13 pm

I had a situation where I needed to download a wmv file and edit it in FCP. (this of course was, and will in the future be, under a rather tight time constraint).

I was able to open the file via Flip for Mac and save it as a .mov file. However, when I tried to open it in FCP 5.0.4 I got a "not enough memory" prompt.

I was able to bring the file into AE 6.5), expand it from 320x240 to 720x540 and render it out in DV. However, the rendered file would not include the audio track. Ultimately, I played the audio out from the computer to tape, digitized the audio track and manually synced the audio to the video.

Short of buying the Matrox scan converter box, I would hope there would be a better way of accomplishing this type of task.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: wmv to mov
on Jul 20, 2006 at 8:48:08 pm

Why didn't you just try QT Pro? If the audio and video were both accurately decoded by QT Player, then exporting shouldn't have been an issue.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Jul 20, 2006 at 11:30:33 pm

Thanks for you input. I didn't think QT pro was able to handle wmv, that was why folks were using Flip for Mac.

When I opened Flip for Mac what came up was Quicktime, and since I am using FCP it would have to be QT pro. As mentioned,it did save it as a .mov file but was not usable in FCP at all and only the Video portion was usable in AE. I believe this type of thing also happens w/ mpeg files;that the video will play in FCP, but no audio.

However, I will check the process again. If this does not work out, do you know of any other software (like slipstream for Mpeg) that will convert wmv to QT.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jul 21, 2006 at 1:55:51 pm

QT Pro can export WMVs if you have one of the F4M licenses registered on your machine. If just using the free decoder, then QT Pro will likely run into issues. You need at least the "WMV Player Pro" version to be able to export from QT Pro. One installed, make sure you check the video and audio export boxes (I would suggest Uncompressed 44.1 or 48KHz for the audio and either an uncompressed codec or the Photo-JPEG codec for video) and the outputted movie should be good.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 21, 2006 at 12:41:26 pm

[Jim Cunningham] "I was able to open the file via Flip for Mac and save it as a .mov file. However, when I tried to open it in FCP 5.0.4 I got a "not enough memory" prompt."

Generally it should work so you're bumping into an issue.

What version of Flip4Mac do you have? You should be on 2.0.2.10
You need to have Flip4Mac Player Pro and up. The free player doesn't have import into FCP ability.

Flip4Mac wraps the wmv in mov (It's still wmv on the "inside") so Quicktime apps can handle it a bit better. You can simply import the wmv into FCP though without wrapping it in mov.

You might have to toss preferences (Quicktime and FCP) if you're getting a "not enough memory" prompt.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jul 21, 2006 at 1:48:46 pm

Yeah, it sounds like he is only running the F4M free version, in which case you will probably run into the demuxing issue if trying to use it as a source in an app other than QT.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Jul 22, 2006 at 12:16:23 am

OK.

OT Pro 7 - Flip4Mac Pro 2.etc (latest version)
Export, Option DV/DVCPro, Audio 48K, Enter.
Prompt - Failed -2126

I've seen this prompt mentioned often in the Flip4Mac discussion. Their recommendation is to repair permission. I've done that, but same results.

BTW I can import the wmv directly into FCP and render it and it will play both audio(a little shakey) and video. A 2 min piece resized from 320x240 to 640x480 takes 17 min on a 1.5 Laptop. Also, outputting to any of the other codec DV stream, AVI etc I get just the video (no audio).

I'll keep working at it and if I come up with something I'll post it.

Thanks again for your insights.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jul 22, 2006 at 3:02:50 am

Maybe you could post a link for the wmv file for us to test? Otherwise, it sounds like there might be a bug in F4M.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 22, 2006 at 4:08:14 am

[Jim Cunningham] "OT Pro 7 - Flip4Mac Pro 2.etc (latest version)
Export, Option DV/DVCPro, Audio 48K, Enter.
Prompt - Failed -2126"

The Dr. can't give you an Rx until you provide more information.
What OS?
What version of QT?
What is "latest version" of Flip4Mac? Haven't seen a 2.etc version myself.
Do you have Player Pro, Studio, Studio Pro, Studio Pro HD?
Exactly what is contained in the file you're trying to Export (There are many WM variants)?

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Jul 22, 2006 at 5:54:29 pm

QT pro 7.0.4
Mac OS 10.4.5
FCP(studio) 5.0.4
Flip 4 Mac Pro - v 2.02.10
wmv = 320x240, 6.8MB file size, Duration 1:50
bit rate = 548, Audio 16bit, sample rate 44k
video date rate 491k, sample size 24bit

The "failed -2126",I think it's a bug in the Flip4Mac, my guess is the problem is in transcoding the audio.

Thanks for your perseverance.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 23, 2006 at 12:10:57 am

[Jim Cunningham] "Flip 4 Mac Pro - v 2.02.10"

Player Pro, Studio Pro?

[Jim Cunningham] "bit rate = 548, Audio 16bit, sample rate 44k
video date rate 491k, sample size 24bit"

Seems confused. What is the audio codec (different than data rate)?
24 bit? If this is audio I really need complete information. Above you say 16 bit.
If there's a bug in audio export I'd know it. I beat the thing to death. I'm a heavy user. There certainly can be issues with audio export but it's not with WMA Standard, 44kHz, Stereo.

You can email me the file if you'd like.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]