FORUMS: list search recent posts

video for Powerpoint

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Sykora
video for Powerpoint
on Jul 18, 2006 at 5:46:18 pm

Hi-

Does anyone know the best way to get an odd size video to play in a powerpoint slide?
My client has asked for a strip of video (784x80) to insert into Powerpoint and loop. (i can figure out the looping part, but file format is the tricky part)

What I tried:
- rendering quicktime with no compression at 784x80. This worked great for me on a Mac, but didn't work on his PC, even with current Quicktime
- creating 784x80 MPEG. Wouldn't insert into Powerpoint, and no error messages.
- creating 720x80 MPEG. This worked in my Powerpoint, but had to blow it up to 780 (the width of the .ppt slide), and quality suffered quite a bit.

Does anyone know:
- what the best file to put in .ppt is that will allow me a non-standard size?
- does Powerpoint not handle MPEGs larger than 720 wide?
- What other codecs I could try that would allow rendering at non-standard sizes?

Thanks in advance-

Bryan

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: video for Powerpoint
on Jul 19, 2006 at 5:03:50 pm

For these odd size movies, use AVI. I also prefer the uncompressed AVI as long as your host PC has enough power to play it. But in the size you are making, it should handle it.

Out of After Effects (if that is where you created the loop) you can do a file-Export and choose AVI. This will allow the non-standard frame size and you can play with different compressors...but I prefer not compressing.

You can also export it out of Quicktime player and play with compression there as well.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jul 20, 2006 at 3:01:39 am

Does this need to be a cross-platform .ppt, or just for Windows playback?

If you just need Windows playback, I'd do a WMV.

What you describe should work in MPEG-1, but it's a really weird size. 720 is normally the maximum width of MPEG-1.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 22, 2006 at 1:42:12 am

Right...With an uncompressed AVI you will be able to match exactly the color or pattern of your PPT background if it is part of the movie. I was able to loop some type along the bottom over a complex background and with the AVI you couldn't see the seam. Not possible with WMV. Also the WMV loads differently on the slide and looks like you put video over the top, whereas AVI looks more integrated.

If that is what you are looking for, go with the AVI.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jul 24, 2006 at 5:31:41 pm

Good points, as an uncompressed AVI is RGB.

It gnaws at my soul to talk about uncompressed RGB on a compression board, but if it's a short loop, it wouldn't add THAT much to the file size.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]