FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mpeg-2 custom sizes>Is this possible in FCP/Compressor?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miss Shell
Mpeg-2 custom sizes>Is this possible in FCP/Compressor?
on Jun 28, 2006 at 6:08:46 am

Heya,

I am currently working on a project where I am exporting from FCP a quicktime mov h.264 codec for HD (1080i) footage. Just as a basis for comparison (render times/quality/playback/file size) I wanted to try an mpeg-2 format also. The thing is, I need a file sized 1366x768 for display on the 65" plasma I am working on. As far as I can tell, FCP and Compressor only allow export of preset frame sizes (PAL, NTSC, 1080i etc) Can anyone tell me if I am wrong, or offer up a solution? I even tried reading the manual (!) but couldn't dredge up any info on this. I may be trying to do something a bit weird here... >:)
Thanks in advance

Shell

Return to posts index

daniel_l
Re: Mpeg-2 custom sizes>Is this possible in FCP/Compressor?
on Jun 28, 2006 at 9:32:52 am

Assuming you don't have either an HD-DVD or BluRay burner/player: Output to standard def PAL or NTSC and leave the plasma's built-in scaler to do the rest.

For a list of MPEG-2 suppoted frame sizes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2

Video AllSorts

Return to posts index

Miss Shell
on Jun 29, 2006 at 1:33:53 am

Thanks,

That answers my question, NO it is not possible to enter a "custom" size frame, YES it will still display correctly on my plasma. I think if I export it as HD1080i it will be the best (as my original footage is shot in 1080i), but I will experiment with a few different frame sizes and bit rates to see which gives the best quality vs file size!

Thanks again for your help,
Michelle

Return to posts index

daniel_l
on Jun 29, 2006 at 9:11:53 am

Encoding at 1080i does not really make any sense if your display is 1366x768 as it will be scaling down the frame size and you'll have wasted a whole bunch of bytes.

DL

Video AllSorts

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jul 3, 2006 at 9:50:01 pm

Being that Compressor won't do a proper 1080i to 720p conversion, I would recommend that you encode to 1080i. Especially if this will be displayed at 63". I assume you will be playing this back from a computer, so bit rate really isn't an issue. Just use what ever max bit rate you can afford to be able to play back in realtime on your system.

Most likely, that plasma display is going to deinterlace the vertical resolution of 1080i first to 540p, and then it will scale the horizontal and vertical resolutions to match its native resolution. If Compressor could do a proper 1080i29.97 to 720p59.94 (converting each field to a progressive frame while scaling), then encoding 720p would be recommended, but since it does not, I would stay with 1080i.

Return to posts index

Miss Shell
on Jul 4, 2006 at 4:50:49 am

Thanks for the suggestions,

Once I get my test screen back (in a week) I can begin to test this properly again! I'll do a few versions and see what looks best on the screen, but yes, I am playing from a computer via DVi cable, so the file size is important (as files will be transferred over intranet connection), but not THAT important.. if that makes sense. What I mean is I'm willing to sacrifice a bigger file size to attain a better quality, to a degree.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jul 5, 2006 at 1:50:21 am

Also, you will need to make note of what the maximum resolution the pc can put out to the display. Even though the display's resolution is 1366x768, most of the time for HDTVs the max they can read from a computer is 1280x768. My Samsung is like this, no matter the connection type used. (Even though the computer resolution to the display is only 1280x768, the picture is displayed correctly and there are no black bars on the sides.)

Return to posts index

Miss Shell
on Jul 6, 2006 at 6:16:09 am

Yes, I did have some issues with this when I first started, but now it works just fine, the computer recognizes the res of the display and it's just peachy :) Monday or Tuesday my display is promised. we'll wait and see!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]