FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows Media Encoder duration limit?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Windows Media Encoder duration limit?
on Jun 23, 2006 at 1:57:38 pm

Despite having used WME for a very long time, it's always been on fairly short files.

I'm trying to encode a 15 minute video DV MOV 3.34GB. 2 Pass VBR Unconstrained 500kbps on WME XP SP2. It encodes only the first 9 and a half minutes. The hard drive is formated NTFS and I've also tried it over my network with the file residing on my Mac. Same results. I don't have the WME duration or size limit set.

Any thoughts about this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Windows Media Encoder duration limit?
on Jun 23, 2006 at 6:02:59 pm

I've now tried this on two different files. They both encode to 9:27 in duration. One is the 3.34GB file and the other is 4GB. It makes no difference whether the file is on the XP SP2 computer's NTFS boot drive or the Mac OS Extended on the network.

Seems like I'm hitting a limit and that duration sounds very similar to the old 2GB limit duration.

Didn't think this would happen with NTFS formated drive but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the drive.

Anybody else have this experience?
Any idea how to fix?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Windows Media Encoder duration limit? Yes for DV.MOV - No for DV.AVI
on Jun 23, 2006 at 6:52:45 pm

I was editing in FCP which can export AVI instead of MOV. I exported a DV.AVI file and it worked without issue!

It seems the 2 GB limit is still there for Quicktime .MOV files on Windows XP (SP2). While larger and longer files can certainly play in QT without issue, WME can't handle more than 2GB of a MOV file. In this case I could say, "You learn something OLD every day!" I thought that 2GB limit was long gone across both platforms and formats.

Fortunately Final Cut Pro (Quicktime actually) can export DV, DVCPro and DVCPro50 as AVI. Unfortunately QT(on Mac) can't export DVCPro100 (DVCProHD) as AVI though. Didn't need to worry about that in this case but I need to think about that (and your suggested solutions, at least look at some method of near loss less conversion to something XP WME likes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]