FORUMS: list search recent posts

squeeze and wmv7 on a mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
duffbeer911
squeeze and wmv7 on a mac
on Jun 6, 2006 at 6:25:27 am

hi all - we have got the squeeze trial running to see how well we can make wmv files on our macs. Specifically we need to make wmv files for older PCs for people who for whatever reason cannot and will not upgrade their machines. So we want to do some tests with wmv7s. We have got the flip4mac trial also. But in squeeze there is only an option for wmv9 or wmv9 advanced. Isn't it possible to use wmv 7?

Also, can't i make .avi files like cinepak?

thanks

Return to posts index

daniel_l
Re: squeeze and wmv7 on a mac
on Jun 6, 2006 at 1:32:12 pm

AFAIK, WMV9 is backwards compatible with player 6.4 or later:

See the bottom of this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/video.aspx

Video AllSorts

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Jun 6, 2006 at 5:54:56 pm

The end user has to download a tiny little file though, something that IT departments
don't always allow. Sorry, no answer otherwise to the question.
Ed

[daniel_l] "AFAIK, WMV9 is backwards compatible with player 6.4 or later:

See the bottom of this page:

" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/codecs/video.aspx"

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 7, 2006 at 3:17:42 pm

I can't do BetaMax dubs either . . . nor 2"

I can play WMV9 on my old Windows 98 (pre 98 SE) computer with WMP 7.1 (with that free download component). I'd have a serious talk with the client about this. If they need to use/view/market with web video they are doing a serious disservice to both internal and external decision makers since WMV 7 can't provide the quality and/or file size efficiency of WMV9. Yes, I've had the talk with a client or two. They even discovered the IT department had no problem doing the small update to WMP7.1 since it didn't require a major OS or software install.

You can use Cleaner on the Mac to create WMV7 (which can create WMV9 with Flip4Mac added). If you need to buy it then you might want to mark up the price for the "special service." These days you can actually buy a cheap Windows XP Home edition box for the price of Cleaner and use Windows Media Encoder (free download for Windows).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]