FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyframes in Sorenson 3 Pro

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Brooks
Keyframes in Sorenson 3 Pro
on Jun 1, 2006 at 5:21:38 pm

I'm attempting to compress a DVCPro50 movie from FCP to Sorenson 3 Pro, using Squeeze 4.3, with the Lg_Prog setting and a video data rate of around 900kbps. Keyframe interval is set to default 300 frames, 30 fps. The compressed clip starts with a fade-in from black to a pretty active animated title. The quality is really lousy until 10 seconds in, when the next keyframe hits. After that, it's fine. What do I need to do to get that first 10 seconds to look nice? I've tried putting compression markers in but they don't seem to make a difference. Thanks.

Final Cut Studio, FCP 5.0.4, After Effects 6.5 Pro, Quicktime 7.0.4, G5 Quad 2.5, Kona-LHe V1.2, 4.5 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800-GT, G-RAID 1TB FW800.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Keyframes in Sorenson 3 Pro
on Jun 2, 2006 at 2:45:13 am

In some rare instances I have created an alternate show open with either less cuts or less motion for the sake of an web encoded clip. In the end the piece held up and looked better enough to justify the change for the encode. The DVD got the full-blast version.

How long is the entire video? You could increase the keyframes and take the bitrate down a bit to compensate.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: Keyframes in Sorenson 3 Pro
on Jun 2, 2006 at 3:15:48 am

The increased keyframes to 100 came close--30 was even better. But it's a long piece and the rest of the video was OK with 300, so it's a high price to pay for just the first 10 sec. Is there a downside to using QT Pro to patch together the open with 30 keyframes and the rest of the piece with 100 and saving the result as self-contained? I did this and it seems to be OK. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]