FORUMS: list search recent posts

BitVice, Digigami or Main Concept mpeg2 encoder?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason King2
BitVice, Digigami or Main Concept mpeg2 encoder?
on May 27, 2006 at 6:03:27 am

I looking to get one of these mpeg2 encoders for my G5, because I personally cannot stand Apples Compressor. I am wondering if anyone has any recomendations between these 3 mpeg encoders. They are all about the same price, so I am looking for professional quality, and hoping someone could give some feedback.

Thanks
Jason

Return to posts index

Mike_S
Re: BitVice, Digigami or Main Concept mpeg2 encoder?
on May 27, 2006 at 11:58:59 am

Why not try out the demo versions?

I have a version of MainConcept, which is OK, and an old version of Digigami which I found excellent and relied on for a while. It was a little buggy but produced good quality; newer versions may have ironed out the bugs. Reports are that Bitvice produces excellent results but is very slow. At present I use Cinemacraft on PC, which produces very good quality and is speedy.

Return to posts index

Jason King2
on May 27, 2006 at 10:05:54 pm

Thanks for the response, seeing I don't have a pc at this point, I think I am going to opt for BitVice since it is now optimized for the Quad G5 and their indicating their pro version will be realtime. But I am going to first demo as you suggested.

Thanks
Jason

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on May 29, 2006 at 6:35:38 am

wow... realtime sounds pretty darn impressive

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
daniel_l
on May 31, 2006 at 10:53:06 am

Realtime.......To be announced, not yet available.

Video AllSorts

Return to posts index

ScottieB
on May 31, 2006 at 4:02:47 pm

BitVice can be very fast or very slow...

To explain - it has some very impressive features, especially the Dynamic Video Noise Cancelling - which allow for very high quality at somewhat low bitrates. It will allow you to get 2 hours or more on a DVD-R without much sacrifice in quality. But what you DO sacrifice is encoding time. The DVNC looks really great, but it take a LOOOONNNGG time to process. It is up to you whether it is worth the tradeoff.

Also, the FIRST pass runs in realtime (or near realtime) - even with DVNC turned on. It is the second pass that slows you down. Without any special features turned on, it encodes pretty fast (comparable to compressor) with very good quality. But with the features turned on, you can get AWESOME results, but at the cost of encoding time.

Personally, I'd go with BitVice, but don't be fooled by the real time thing - at least not yet!

Return to posts index

Jason King2
on May 31, 2006 at 4:24:07 pm

The realtime thing is only indicated for their pro version which is not even out yet and I was assuming there may be a catch to this even when it does come out. I am willing sacrifice the time if you can achieve good results, because the quality in compressor for the most part has always sucked.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jun 1, 2006 at 3:59:39 am

Oh, good real-time MPEG-2 encoding is definitely possible - ProCoder is faster than realtime for 1-pass VBR on my XP box (although 2-pass Mastering Mode is more like 1/3rd real-time).

There really aren't any great MPEG-2 enoder on Mac. I like ProCoder for when I'm only doing 2-pass encoding, and CinemaCraft if I really need to tweak a file segment-by-segment.

Return to posts index

RIP TEAR SHRED
Try Popwire Compression Master
on Jun 8, 2006 at 4:47:39 pm

We use CM now and I think it's amazing. The quality is WAY better than Compressor and it's about 4 times faster on our machines (Dual 2.5). For the most part it runs at 2 Xs realtime.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]