FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing sharpness going from After Effects / Quicktime to dvd

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tam
Losing sharpness going from After Effects / Quicktime to dvd
by
on May 8, 2006 at 9:05:41 pm

I'm not sure whether this belongs in this forum...

I am producing a 3 minute 16:9 (wide) promo video. I have a completed After Effects project, which looks great when rendered to quicktime and viewed on the computer. Sharp, clear, beautiful.

I need to have it as a looping dvd, for use at a trade show. To achieve that, I rendered a lossless Quicktime file from After Effects, which was more than 10 Gig. heavy. I then used that file in iDvd to create a dvd, but the quality is terrible - not sharp, and has artifacts, especially noticable when viewed on a 40" plasma monitor.

What am I doing wrong?

Tam P.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Losing sharpness going from After Effects / Quicktime to dvd
on May 9, 2006 at 1:00:47 am

[tam] "rendered a lossless Quicktime"

Missing lots of info here. What was your source video? You're not going to make DVCAM source look HD. You might consider output to 8 bit Uncompressed and/or working in that space from the getgo if possible. I'd also recommend using Compressor (or higher end encoder) and using DVD Studio Pro. With Compressor you'll be able to control the data rate. Maybe 2 Pass VBR 6.5 Mbps avg and 7.5 peak or CBR at about 7 Mbps.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 9, 2006 at 3:09:31 am

Also, iDVD has a default preference that you can set for Faster (not so good) or Slower (better). Check your preferences...your source file sounds like it is fine.

But iDVD won't ever encode your video as well as a well setup compressor encode.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on May 13, 2006 at 3:39:03 am

I'm gonna guess you're going to animation codec from AFX, and that's lossless. But then, when the file passes through a DVD app, it will automatically convert to MPEG-2 if not already done so, and some quality is inevitably lost on that re-encode. But as mentioned, compressor+dvd studio pro would give possibly better results than iDVD.

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

Chaos Wrangler
on May 18, 2006 at 8:30:16 pm

One possibility, What are the dimentions of the AE Comp. IDVD likes to see 720 X 480. 720 X 486 (DI Setting) will cause artifacts.
check your comp settings and if possible go with a 720 X 480 amaphoric codec.

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]