FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Squeeze problem

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Sean Emer
Sorenson Squeeze problem
on May 7, 2006 at 6:16:39 pm

I need to get a recently edited show to DVD. My standard procedure for doing this has been exporting as a quicktime reference file from Avid Xpress Pro, compressing to mpv/mpg format, and then burning to disc using DVDit!. There seems to be a problem, however, with my compression stage. I use Sorenson Squeeze 3.5 for compressing, and up until now it has always worked flawlessly. Here's the problem: About 1/8th of the way into the compression (always in the same spot on the video), sorenson stops compressing and gives me an error message that says:

The movie file '"' cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly

I have two buttosn to press: Cancel or Search. I hit search and it brings up a browser for me to find the movie named " and obvioudly that doesn't exist. so I have to hit cancel. When I do THAT, I get:

Unable to read the audio data. To compress this file you must turn off audio.

So...
Here is my compression setup:

Elementary
Video: MPEG-2
3000 Kb/s
NTSC
29.97 fps
Constant Bit Rate
720x480
I Frame Rate: 6

PCM Audio
1536 Kb/s
48.000 kHz
Stereo

Normally I would use 6500 kb/s instead of 3000, but the show is an hour and 50 minutes long, so I'm trying to conserve space. I did try compressing on 6500 kb/s to see if it helped, but I still got the error. Does anybody know what might be going wrong here? I'm on a deadline.

Return to posts index

cow
Rich Rubasch
Re: Sorenson Squeeze problem
on May 7, 2006 at 6:28:28 pm

These big reference files are convenient to a point...if it's short and has few layers. Lots of things can clog the reading of a ref clip during compression. There is a ton of seeking around to put the pieces of the ref clip back together for the encoder. Usually, on a length more than 20 minutes or so you are better off ouptting the program to tape and redigitizing from the master to a single file. A reference clip from that new digitized clip will make it thgought the encoder much easier.

A real pain in the keester when your show is amost 2 hours...that's 2 hours to tape and 2 hours back in, but you will not have those problems with the encoder.

Another option is to save out of AVID to a compressed codec of some sort to a self contained clip (still quite large) and run that clip through the encoder.

If you will be making these DVDs from long program material on a regular basis, the I recommend one of the PCI card realtime encoders from Wired or other...some of the cheaper PC video cards support realtime MPEG2 encoding from your master tape. I would find one of those...chances are you will make a tape master anyway, so after you make it just send it through the encoder realtime and 2 hours later you have your MPEG2.

But big ref clips from a long, multi-layered program are a bear.

One last thought...have you done a mixdown of the video tracks? In the AVID I used to do a mixdown to two new tracks and then delete all the other audio, this made for a neater ref clip.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

cow
Sean Emer
on May 7, 2006 at 11:33:53 pm

I've already put the show to master and brought it over to a new system. I recorded into avid from a DSR-45, and then exported as quicktime reference.

I got the video to compress fine by turning off the audio output. Now when I compress my audio file (it was exported from avid as .aif), I get the same error. I don't know why a simple audio file (only two tracks) could create this kind of problem. Should I try exporting the audio as some other filetype? Would lowering the bitrate work?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

cow
Rich Rubasch
on May 8, 2006 at 1:27:08 am

That is strange...you get the same error with the audio file? What is the audio's sample rate and what are you encoding it to?

Rich

Return to posts index

cow
Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2006 at 2:36:38 am

Although I'm a Mac person I've heard of similar issues on Avid/Mac side and Squeeze. Have you tried saving as a self contained movie (not reference)?

Is it possible you can save in a non Avid proprietary codec? On the Mac side, saving to Apple's DV mov rather than Avid's, has solved issues similar to this.

Return to posts index

cow
Sean Emer
on May 8, 2006 at 3:14:34 am

alright, I have it working now. I am encoding as PCM Audio at 1536 kb/s (same as before). All I did however was re-export from avid without selecting video tracks. I'm not sure what this did differently since the audio was already a seperate file, but Sorenson is compressing it perfectly now. I have the DVD made, and all is well. Thanks again for the help guys! Long live the Cow!

Return to posts index

cow
Craig Seeman
on May 8, 2006 at 3:22:07 am

Maybe post a step by step for what you did that worked. I think others have bumped into similar issues with Avid export for compression so a step by step might be a great help.

BTW, If you encode audio AC3 (192kbps for example) instead of PCM you'll get a good but much smaller audio file, which can give you more room to push up the data rate for the video MPEG2 file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]