FORUMS: list search recent posts

SUPERB COMPRESSION What did they use and how did they use it?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ralphsturg
SUPERB COMPRESSION What did they use and how did they use it?
on May 7, 2006 at 2:34:43 am

OBSOIVE:

http://www.emichrysalis.co.uk/quicktime/sigur_ros/glosoli/index.php?version...

This six minute music video is somehow only 16 megs or so and is quite high quality... Does anyone know how this was compressed? I am trying to export a 5 minute video at the same dimensions, I am exporting a 1280 x 545 uncompressed video file to h264 codec at about 6400kbps and it doesen't look that good and is 50 PLUS megs. All the H264 exports are a heck of a lot brighter than the actual file, why is that? The blacks in the original file are much darker and richer and the h264 export. (I'm using quicktime pro for export by the way) everything is brighter and the colors are washed out... does anyone know how the aforelinked video was createD? What compression tools methods did they use to pull this off? I'm interested in posting trailers and shorts and I like that size and framing and that compression! 16 megs for a beautiful 6 min video is a dream, does anyone know what kind of magic they used to pull this off? Any help would be MUCh appreciated!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SUPERB COMPRESSION What did they use and how did they use it?
on May 8, 2006 at 3:15:46 am

The Cinema version is indeed H.264 but
frame size is 640x272
File size is 48.18 MB
Data Rate is 1079.42 kbps
frame rate is 25fps (PAL)

Could it have been shot with Varicam or CineAlta or maybe even film (but then why not keep it at 24fps instead of 25fps PAL?)? There's certainly a lot of good color grading evident. Keep in mind a good compressionist may use processing filters for best viewing on a computer monitor. Also keep in mind high quality source has significant impact on end result quality. HDCAM SR source is going to look much better than DVCAM source given the same compression settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]