FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Compressor file size limit

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TheSinger
Apple Compressor file size limit
on Apr 28, 2006 at 5:30:09 pm

I am trying to convert a 47.49 GB HD 1080 video file from .mov to mpeg4 using Apple Compressor. the compression fails consistently at the very very end of the process (99%). I have 67 GB free in my main drive and 47 GB available on the destination drive. Is the issue that I don't have enough free space on my disk, or is there a file size limit in Compressor? I have successfully converted smaller files. Thanks

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Apple Compressor file size limit
on Apr 29, 2006 at 1:14:20 am

In these cases to troubleshoot the issue, I will sometimes try encoding a smaller portion of the clip, maybe 30 seconds or so and see if it still bails at the end...if so it's not the size of the clip.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

TheSinger
on Apr 29, 2006 at 3:44:10 am

Thanks for the reply. It did succeed with a smaller portion of the same video, when it was split into two smaller clips. Consistently my Compressor has failed to complete files of this size, so I was wondering if maybe it requires double the size of the file in available drive space, because whenever I'm below that, it fails.

Also, when it fails, it mysteriously eats up a couple gigs of hard drive space.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 29, 2006 at 5:21:17 pm

If that's the case and since you are going to end up with an MPEG4 clip anyway, why not take the whopping huge full rez 1080 HD clip and convert it first to PhotoJPEG at 75% which would make it WAY smaller, and encode that to your final clip. You might even find you will be able to backup that PhotoJPEG clip for future use in encoding.

PhotoJPEG would certainly stand up to the downconvert and subsequent encode to MP4 and compresssor would have no problem using the clip.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
TheSinger
on Apr 30, 2006 at 7:26:29 am

thanks for the help, but it crashed too.

I have 63 gigs available in my main drive, but I guess that's not enough.

what's kinda interesting is that this is not documented anywhere in the user interface of Compressor. There is no option to specify a scratch disk.

any other software you can suggest to do this conversion from an HD .mov file to mpeg4?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 30, 2006 at 4:59:42 pm

If you have QT Pro open the HD clip...export to PhotoJPEG at 75%. Dont scale it. Did you try this and it too crashed? DO NOT use compressor to make the PhotoJPEG clip...use Quicktime...then use compressor to make the finalo encode from the PhotoJPEG clip.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

TheSinger
on Apr 30, 2006 at 5:07:11 pm

Thanks again for all of your help. Thanks to your posts I tried SCALING it down first, without compression, which succeded in generating an 11 GB .mov file, which is now compressing, and probably will succeed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]