FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best method to use to compress a Quicktime Movie for the Web?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rosindabow
Best method to use to compress a Quicktime Movie for the Web?
on Apr 19, 2006 at 9:18:55 pm

I have a 30 second quicktime movie that is 112.5 MB in size. I want to compress it to be placed on the web. The audio needs to be great as I am a composer and that is of primary concern. I think that I would like tot get it down to somewhere around 3 to 4 MB in size. What is the best tool to use? Which is the easiest software to do this specific task? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Best method to use to compress a Quicktime Movie for the Web?
on Apr 20, 2006 at 2:09:45 pm

Easiest - QuicktimePro (I don't like it's mov or mp4 quality compared to choices below but good H.264)
Best - Squeeze, Compression Master, Compressor, Cleaner - all have strengths and weaknesses.
Compressor (Apple Mac only) does great H.264
Squeeze - Sorenson Pro (mov) and I like its MPEG4 too (mp4)
Cleaner - works well if you purchase Sorenson Pro codec to do mov
Compression Master - great processing filters (not easy to use for many though)

You don't mention whether you're on Mac or Windows.
On Windows - many like Procoder

You might consider doing versions compatible with both Quicktime and Windows Media Player
For WMV on the Mac there's Flip4Mac (works in nearly all the above programes) or Compression Master.
For WMV on Windows the free WME 9 series is both free and easy and good quality creator of WMV/A (not Quicktime compatible of course)

Sorenson (variants), MPEG4 (variants), H.264 (variants and only plays in Quicktime 7) will play in Quicktime.

Audio - AAC, 48khz 128kbits/sec or maybe push to 192kbits/sec (as an example)

Sorry when people ask for "best" it's hard to answer as in what's the "best" food.

There's best quality which is often vs best market penetration (installed base).

Return to posts index

rosindabow
on Apr 20, 2006 at 6:42:16 pm

Sorry about not being more clear. I am running a Mac. This is in the Movie Info window: [ DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 640 x 480, Millions
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz FPS: 29.97 ] As far as what I want to do with it, the first pressing issue is just to be able to upload it to a .Mac site and have someone downlaod it. I'm not worried about streaming or anything like that just now. I will be shortly. Does that give you enough to work with? I own Compressor and Final Cut Studio. I also have Quicktime Pro 7 with the MPEG 2 option. I looked at QT but I cannot find a place to export or compress a file. Anyway, I know you gave me many options...but being more from the music side of things, it is a bit overwhelming. I'm just looking for a relatively simple, uncomplicated method to get this file compressed but still have it look and sound relatively good. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 20, 2006 at 9:10:07 pm

No Problem. Is the person (people) downloading the file likely to Quicktime 7?
If so I'd use Compressor 2 to create an H.264 file.
Import the file into Compressor 2
Use the Apple/ Web Download (Quicktime 7 Compatible)/ H.264 800kbps preset
For video that'll give you a nice big 480x360 Screen Size.
For audio it'll give AAC at 128kbps, 48khz.
If you want, duplicate the preset and change the audio bit rate to 192kbps.
You can leave the other audio settings as but if your music is real "demanding" you can change AAC Encoder Quality from Better to Best. You can change the audio to VBR encoding too. It may depend on whether people will be listening on $70 computer speakers or have $1500 speakers hooked up to their computer.

A cable modem connection may be able to play the above as a progressive download (plays while downloads into cache) and maybe a very fast DSL connection but slower DSL connections might have to settle for a fast download.

You can drop the frame size to 320x240 which will save you on file size, you can then lower the data rate to 300 to 500kbps depending on content.

If you need compatibility with Quicktime 6 you'll have to use MPEG4 encoding. I haven't been happy with Compressor's MPEG4 encoding compared to either Squeeze or Compression Master though. If you have to do MPEG4 encoding in Compressor you'll need to push the data rate up if you want something that looks good.

Hope this gets you closer. Post back if you must do MPEG4 or Sorenson.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]