Export from FCP HD to a PowerPoint presentation

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shtark
Export from FCP HD to a PowerPoint presentation
on Mar 23, 2006 at 12:13:09 pm

Hello

We have been using Flip For Mac for exporting projects to WMV for PowerPoint
for some reason these WMVs crash Power Point on some PCs or play back with strange color changes
on the other hand the rest of the WMVs work fine.

We use exactly the same export settings for all of our projects.

Can anyone recommend the best workflow for this issue?
Which is the best Codec for exporting to Power Point from FCP?

I appreciate your answers.

Eyal Shtark
Exhibitions and Multi-Media
Team Leader

Advertising department
ISCAR LTD.
Tel. +972-4-9970371
Fax. +972-4-9970422
Email: eyal@iscar.co.il

Return to posts index

cow
Rich Rubasch
Re: Export from FCP HD to a PowerPoint presentation
on Mar 25, 2006 at 6:57:25 pm

You are right on with the correct format for PPT...it's Windows Media. What is your source video in FCP? What are your settings in Flip for mac? Are you using Variable bit rate or Constant?

I prefer 640 x 480 progressive for full screen WMV, 480 x 360 for medium size WMV and 320 x 240 for small WMV. I usually come from 720 x 480 DV or DVCPro50 as my source. I choose Lower field as the input field order and progressive for the output and always select 29.97 as frame rate. I use 80kbps on the audio side, and not the default 64 kbps.

What is your workflow?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

shtark
on Mar 26, 2006 at 6:10:52 am

Thanks for your answer.

Our workflow is as follows:

We either capture PAL video from DV tapes or get 3D animations from MAYA or Cinema 4D.
Our sequence setting is DV pal with no interlacing because we use the video mainly for viewing on the computer.

Yes we do use variable bit rate.

Our output is to 720/576 at 25 fps
We usually output at a quality of 80-90% which retains the quality and also compresses the viseo to a reasonable size.

Regarding the audio - we use the default settings.

I think that the fact that our WMVs work perfectly on some PCs and not on others actually means that the problem is on the PC and not with our films do you agree?

We also tried to use sorenson squeeze which has a setting called POWERPOINT MP1 Large. The output is acceptable but its also 5 times heavier than WMV.

I think it is prefarable to use WMV and fix the codec problems on the PC stations.

Eyal Shtark
Exhibitions and Multi-Media
Team Leader

Advertising department
ISCAR LTD.
Tel. +972-4-9970371
Fax. +972-4-9970422
Email: eyal@iscar.co.il

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 27, 2006 at 2:24:52 am

Not being so familiar with PAL frame sizes, in NTSC world, we used to have 720 x 486 and we used to have 640 x 480. 320 x 240 would be a quarter screen, and 640 x 480 would be full screen. 640 x 480 was also the standard computer screen size way back when. 720 x 480 is the NTSC frame size and the comparable square pixel size would be 720 x 534. Still, if I scale a 720 x 480 NTSC DV clip in the WMV converter to 640 x 480, I get the best scaling to the end users computer resolution, such as 1024 x 768.

From your post I assume you want these movies to play full screen with no controller. What is a standard PPT frame size in PAL land? 800 x 600? 1024 x 768?

Have you tried ever encoding your PAL DV footage to 640 x 480 and is that a standard square pixel computer screen frame size in PAL as it it here?

Curious...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]