FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has Compressor become less efficient in recent updates?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ethan Wolvek
Has Compressor become less efficient in recent updates?
on Mar 20, 2006 at 6:55:43 pm

Strangely, I've noticed that, in the past few weeks, the file sizes of similar projects (pretty much the same length and material) that are encoded using the same presets are markedly higher than those encoded about a month ago. I'm wondering if this is due to some update that was included with a recent software update.

Has any one noticed a change in Compressor's behavior in this regard?

Here's a "for instance"....

I do several 2-hour shows a week for a particular client. The material in ALWAYS the similar and always 2-hours. This client requires that the two-hour shows fit on a single layer DVD. Admittedly, the client's footage is poor EVERY time... Shaky-cam.... Bad lighting.... Out of control contrast situations.... All the things that soak up bit-rate.

Despite the footage's shortcomings, I've been able to shoehorn these shows onto DVD-5's for several years running. Until now I've been very successful using the 150 Minute Best 4:3 preset.

Last month I started to notice a sharp increase in final file size... The average file-size went from roughly 3.5 Gigs to between 4.5 and 5.0 Gigs. This is just the mp2 files and doesn't include the audio (I use ac3 to keep the audio requirements down).

Has anyone had a similar problem? Anyone created a new preset to solve it?

Looking forward to responses galore.....

Ethan

Big Rig Media Works
ethan@big-rig.us

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]