FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating an MPEG 2 with Audio Embedded

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Zimbard
Creating an MPEG 2 with Audio Embedded
on Mar 10, 2006 at 7:18:59 pm

Whenever I use compresser to make an .mpeg-2 I always get a separate video and audio file. The current client I am working with is insisting that they need an .mpeg 2 with audio embedded. I know there is an option in compressor for creating a muxed file, but instead of an .m2v it creates an .mts file that I can't open. I also have cleaner, but have had problems in the past with .mpeg 2 encoding where it introduces green blocky artifacts into the masters I am exproting from Final Cut. Is there any option in either cleaner or compressor to make a clean mpeg2 video with embedded audio? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Mike

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
Re: Creating an MPEG 2 with Audio Embedded
on Mar 12, 2006 at 8:36:42 pm

Which audio codec does the client want?

"normal" MPEG-2 embedded audio is MPEG-1 Layer II audio, which is what Compressor gives you. The .mts extension is for MPEG-2 transport stream. Most video/audio MPEG-2 uses the MPEG-2 program stream format, which might be what the client wanted.

However, many MPEG-2 uses, like digital broadcasting and DVD, actually uses the Dolby Digital (AC-3) codec. Those are actually a pain to make. You can make the video and audio in Compressor, and can then use a tool like MPEG StreamClip to mux them together.

Return to posts index

Michael Zimbard
on Mar 15, 2006 at 4:28:04 pm

Thanks for the reply Ben. They had no preference on audio codec. Only to receive a single embedded mpeg 2 file. I tried taking a separate .m2v and .ac3 file made by compressor into MPEG Streamclip, but didn't have any luck with the muxing. Any idea on how to do this properly?

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Mar 18, 2006 at 9:50:18 pm

With MPEG StreamClip, you'll need to have the file name before the ".m2v" and ".ac3" match precisely, and have them in the same folder. When you open the .m2v, it'll load the .ac3 along with it.

FWIW, I think there's a way to make a .ts with Layer II audio straight from Compressor.

Return to posts index

DidemPekun
on May 23, 2006 at 11:21:54 am

Hi there Mike,
did you manage to sort out this Mpeg 2, I am trying to do exactly the same with FCP and its compressor and need one file for audio and video. I would greatly appreciate a response if you know the way.
many thanks,
Didem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]