FORUMS: list search recent posts

post-production workflow strategy for adding graphics and titles to DV-NTSC

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Luehrsen
post-production workflow strategy for adding graphics and titles to DV-NTSC
on Mar 7, 2006 at 3:00:32 pm

I am working on project that originated on DV-NTSC (29.97 fps, 720x480) and will be delivered as Sorenson Video QT movies (15 fps, 640 x 480).

The movies will have extensive motion graphics and titling.

My question involves sorting out a logical post-production workflow strategy that will maximize the quality.

I am thinking that I need to pick an intermediate format/codec (such as "Uncompressed 8-bit," or the "Animation" codec) in which to apply the motion graphics and titling.

Does the following sound reasonable?:

1. Cuts-only editing and making selects in Final Cut in a DV-NTSC sequence...for convenience.
2. Convert selected clips to the intermediate codec (Uncompressed 8-bit? Animation?...at the same time, change frame size to 640x480, square pixels.
3. Create a Final Cut sequence matching the intermediate specs from step #2.
4. Apply motion graphics, titling, etc. in this new sequence.
5. Compress to Sorenson Video QT movies.

Thanks for any advice, especially in the choice of codec on step #2. Does anyone know of a good rundown/explanation (online maybe?) of the kinds of "intermediate" codecs in step #2?

Thomas

Return to posts index

Ed
Re: post-production workflow strategy for adding graphics and titles to DV-NTSC
by
on Mar 7, 2006 at 10:21:16 pm

Do you have fast enough drives to go 10 bit? If you haven't digitized footage yet, I would suggest bringing the
whole thing in as 10 bit Uncompressed. The one and only advantage of 10 bit (not 8 because you'll run into banding problems)
is that it makes graphics look very good with DV. If you already have the footage on your hard drives, editing in DV and bringing it
into a 10 bit sequence will still help, but you'll have to render the entire sequence when you're done.
Ed

Return to posts index

thewanggao
Re: post-production workflow strategy for adding graphics and titles to DV-NTSC
on Mar 21, 2006 at 2:49:24 am

beginner questions, but in capturing uncompressed 10-bit, does it capture just the same way dv does (through a firewire deck)? Will the 10-bit digitized footage look exactly the same as ntsc-dv digitized? What is the bitrate for 10 bit uc, and is a basic 7200 rpm internal SATA drive fast enough to play it back?

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]