FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC vs mac options

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marshall
PC vs mac options
on Feb 27, 2006 at 12:10:37 am

I'm trying to export a small sequence from FCE HD for a friends website and he can only handle .avi or .mpeg files. I've found that my movie looks great with the Quicktime mp4 format. I can make an.avi file thats too big for e-mail.
1. is .mpeg the same as .mpeg1 or .mpeg2 ?
2. What is the best format and codec to use to make a video file for a pc from my system?
Thanks ,Dean
Powerbook G4
G Drive Q
Final Cut Express HD

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: PC vs mac options
on Feb 27, 2006 at 2:19:05 pm

[marshall] "I'm trying to export a small sequence from FCE HD for a friends website and he can only handle .avi or .mpeg files." This doesn't sound right. Why wouldn't he be able to handle WMV or MOV like the rest of the world?

[marshall] "1. is .mpeg the same as .mpeg1 or .mpeg2 ?"
Not really for your purposes. MPEG4 is a good choice but if you're asking this question, I have a hunch you're not even thinking about bit rate and you should. What does your friend need? You'll have to talk to your friend about that.

[marshall] "2. What is the best format and codec to use to make a video file for a pc from my system?"
"Best" really depends on your friend's needs. Each has advantages and disadvantageous. It's kind of like asking what's the best food. I'd suggest WMV with Flip4Mac but for some odd reason your friend has eliminated this choice. For some "targets" H.264 (MPEG4Part10) is a "best" choice. For others it might be MPEG4(MPEG4Part2) or MOV created with SorensonPro.

Return to posts index

marshall
on Feb 28, 2006 at 8:29:08 am

He did include .wmv as an option,my bad. To make .wmv with Flip4mac, can i just download the Free version or would it be wise to get the $99 dollar version.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 28, 2006 at 2:08:37 pm

There's a preset only version for $49. $99 allows you to make your own settings. $179 include WMVHD & surround sound and 2 Pass Encoding. Free version is player only.

[marshall] "He did include .wmv as an option,my bad. To make .wmv with Flip4mac, can i just download the Free version or would it be wise to get the $99 dollar version.
Thanks again."

Return to posts index

marshall
on Feb 28, 2006 at 7:59:53 pm

Will I be able to output .swf files also with Flip4mac?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 28, 2006 at 8:21:22 pm

Squeeze 4.3 (Spark codec) and Cleaner 6.5 (Wildform codec) output swf files. Flip4Mac 1.0.6 Studio Pro works with Squeeze and Flip4Mac 2.0.1 works with Cleaner. Flip4Mac is specific to WMV but Squeeze and Cleaner output SWF.

Return to posts index

marshall
on Feb 28, 2006 at 8:49:16 pm

Thanks for the info Craig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]