FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Format + Codec For The Internet ?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RobOday
What Format + Codec For The Internet ?
on Feb 22, 2006 at 3:00:04 am

Im in the process of compressing all my video's for an internet site that showcase's my rubbish work, anyhow...
As the title suggests im trying to figure out what format + codec to use ?
+ any settings you think I should try.

I'd rather halve the orginal resolution but retain pin-sharp quality.

Obviously I dont want to take up huge ammounts of space either, some of my flicks are around 10mins, I guess they can be around 100Mb MAX, prefer around 50Mb if possible.

MANY MANY thanks if anyone can help out, I know a lot of it is trial and error, but I know that you will have a headstart on me.

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern
Re: What Format + Codec For The Internet ?
on Feb 22, 2006 at 8:32:43 am

whats your website so i can get an idea of what your working with, also

one of my 10 min video i put up on the web is about 13mb, the others are like 3-8mb each, at about 5 mins each, at 300kbps

http://www.newelementproductions.com/index.html

directly out of final cut pro, using compressor, i exported the timeline, sequence, as a streaming, not a download for web, because somebrowsers dont allow one to view the video unless the whole movie is finished downloading, and you dont want that, you want the viewer to view the vidoes once they start downloading, to play perhaps at the same speed as the download, so click streaming, and it should export is as a .mov, also i recommend the 300 setting, 100 too low, 800 no need, 300 you get almost top knotch quality, but quick as lightning streaming,

so hope my advice was usefull, again, send me the link to check out your progress

also a question for you, do you know how I could do the same process for a .wav file? or convert a .mov to a .wav? i have a mac, i know for p.c theres a million converters out there on the internet, but mac? thats a tuff one to find? any ideas.

cool good luck

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 22, 2006 at 5:24:25 pm

If your site it http (as opposed to mms or rtsp etc), You'd be posting a "progressive download" file usually VBR encoded. "Streaming" is usually CBR.

With Quicktime
H.264 is good for advanced artists or tech savvy (since they need QT 7 and must know to update) and will give you best quality
Sorenson Pro or MPEG4 for those with older versions of Quicktime.

If you want a broad reach, you might consider WMV9 since many Windows users do not/will not put Quicktime Player on their computers.

Flash is a possibility but that brings up other considerations and complexities.

If you're showing off your work to get clients, you should consider the 500 - 800kbs range depending on frame size and content. If you have fast action, dissolves, motion graphics, you'll want the higher data rates. Talking Head interviews can be down to about 300kbps.

Just my opinion.

Return to posts index

Royce Hildreth
on Feb 24, 2006 at 4:57:36 am

Use MPEG 1. It will work with any computer. Yes the quality is not the best but it always works.

Sincerely
Royce

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 24, 2006 at 6:33:01 am

If one is "showcasing" work, MPEG1 is the wrong format to use. "Quality is not the best" is an understatement. You will either have to use a much higher data rate to match the quality of the codecs below or the quality may be poor enough so that your target audience may not appreciate your work.

Windows Media Video 9 works on nearly all computer except may some folks still running Windows 95 and I doubt they'd be a target for "showcasing" work.

Quicktime (MPEG4 or Sorenson Pro) works on nearly all computers too although I do think there are still far too many Windows users who don't have/want Quicktime on their computers. They are in part the corporate market and in part home users who shy away from the risk of updating/installing software.

Flash is pervasive too and works on nearly all computers since this is something most people have downloaded. The On2 "codec" looks great but encodes very slowly. I do think some may find the time and effort to implement well on a web page to be a bit of pain though. This too will look much better even at much lower data rate than needed for a decent MPEG1.

These days I don't even get requests for MPEG1 in PowerPoint presentations anymore.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]