FORUMS: list search recent posts

Banding Using Animation Codec

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Often
Banding Using Animation Codec
on Feb 16, 2006 at 4:32:57 am

By banding I mean that horizontal lines occur in areas of the screen where there is quick motion (example: hand movements,lip movements)

From Avid, I'm attempting to output Quicktime movies using the Animation codec. The original video was shot on BetaSP, captured into Avid using straight 2:1 compression (I also had this problem when I compressed with DV25). Output size = 640x480.

It seems to me that this is an issue of fields, but it makes no difference which of them (upper or lower) I render first. I have found that the banding disappears when I render with a Single field, but there is a huge overall loss in quality for the entire image when I do it this way.

I'm new to this type of thing, so hopefully I'm just missing something basic here. My goal here is to output near-lossless video to my FCP system in order to add a film filter, then send it back to the Avid.

Thanks, Roger

Return to posts index

Roger Often
Re: Banding Using Animation Codec
on Feb 16, 2006 at 6:44:52 am

Hm... I was wrong, there wasn't a problem at all. The banding was due to the computer screen and the QT player, and didn't actually exist at all in the video itself. I sent the Animation-compressed video to the FCP system, rendered it there with the same codec, and brought it back into Avid with 1:1. It looks great.

Hope my mistake helps someone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]