FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dissolves are blocky from my MPEG2 Files..

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scream
Dissolves are blocky from my MPEG2 Files..
on Feb 14, 2006 at 12:59:40 pm

Hi guys!

Well this is my problem.

I used to work on an Avid (PC) & to create an MPEG2 I used to create a Quicktime movie from the timeline, export it onto my Mac then use Quicktime 7 to create my DVD Compliant file & the quality was really nice, even when I used to have to squeeze 3 hours on a DVD-5.

Now we work on Macs, so hence we have migrated to Final Cut Pro, so to make my MPEG2 file I create a Quicktime movie (Self Contained) drop it into compressor, do the encode & wella! Do all the authoring in DVD Studio Pro & all is good!

But only one major problem, I get this blockiness footage when their is a dissolve (Most of the time anyway)

1. Being a 30 mins clip with an average bit rate of 5 to 7Bits Max!
2. Being a 2 hour clip with an average bit rate of 3.3 to 7 bits Max!

I am totally dumbfounded, so thinking that compressor was doing an average job (The dissolves was the problem) I turned to Bitvice & tried the Demo & still the same problem.

So I even used a different DVD player, but still that blockiness comes when there's a dissolve. Not all the time but very noticeable.

Anyone have any ideas, I am thinking its coming from the Quicktime Movie, I may try a Quicktime export as a reference instead.

Thanks

Sandro

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
Re: Dissolves are blocky from my MPEG2 Files..
on Feb 21, 2006 at 7:47:53 pm

Dissolves are one of the hardest things to encode for MPEG-2, so that's where you'd expect problems.

In Compressor, do you have motion estimation on "Best"? 2-pass VBR?

Beyond that, increasing your peak bitrate will help. Great if you're getting stamped media, but much higher could cause problems on DVD-R media. If you're targeting stamped, push up the peak to 9 Mbps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]