FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD to muxed mpeg2 - please help!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Telling
HD to muxed mpeg2 - please help!
on Feb 10, 2006 at 1:26:09 am

I am having a very difficult time finding a solution to this situation and time is running out on me.

I work in FCP 5 and am now creating presentations in HD 720P (1280 x 720)

Compression using H.264 for computer playback has been very successful, but I am faced with a need to supply a client with either a HD.wmv file or 1280 x 720 muxed. mpg file for playback on a PC within a program called SCALA (which does not like Quicktime!!)
These presentations are going to be played back full screen on large 63" plasmas.

With previous SD presentations within this work flow, I have saved self contained files out of FCP - exported an .m2v (video) and .aiff (audio) file out of Quicktime Pro and then muxed them together into one .mpg file using BitVice Helper - fantastic!
However now I've moved to HD presentations things have changed: Now I'm in Tiger, QT 7 Pro doesn't apparently have the mpeg 2 export . So, I've turned to Compressor and have tried following a similar work flow. I've used the HD DVD mpeg 2 default (1280 x 720) as a starting setting, and reduced the bit rate down to 10mb/sec for desktop playback. I've also exported the related .aif file at the same time.

The resulting .m2v file looks great within Quicktime player and the .aif file plays separately without a hitch - but when I now try to mux them in BitVice Helper (after creating the necessary .mp2 audio file) BitVice muxes approx 8 seconds of the presentation but gives data warnings and then a final error saying that there are too many dropped frames and stops processing the files.

Is this problem simply due to the fact that BitVice Helper is not able to process anything larger than 720x480 and 9Mb/sec?? If so, is there any other program that could Mux these files successfully.

I've used Flip4Mac to try and create .wmv files as an alternative, but they just do not come close to the quality of H.264 or even the mpeg 2 files.

Thank you for any help you can offer me. I really have tried hard to resolve this but have come to a dead end.

I appreciate your assistance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]