FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird video quality issue

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
persta
Weird video quality issue
on Feb 7, 2006 at 9:54:05 am

Hello!

Recently I did a fresh install on my system (XP Pro SP2) and since then I've been having this problem.

When I render stuff from After Effects 6.5 as image sequence,uncompressed avi or QT Animation everything is fine. If I try to encode these files to any other format, or render to a compressed file format from AE, I get this strange degradation of quality that is most prominent on strong colors. It looks a little bit like slight interlacing or loss of resolution. Red is the most affected color but it shows also slightly on blues and greens. However whites, yellows and subdued colors look fine.

This problem is not related to After Effects alone. It happens also when I'm encoding with TmpgEnc and QT Pro. It also affects all codecs.

Has anyone seen something like this before? I will upload screenshots to photobucket or similar so you can see it. I will post the link to the images as soon as I have them uploaded.

Thank you!

Pertti Jaasaari

Return to posts index

persta
Re: Weird video quality issue (link to image)
on Feb 7, 2006 at 10:19:48 am

Here is an image showing the problem.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2663/badvideoquality2wf.jpg

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Weird video quality issue
on Feb 10, 2006 at 6:16:27 am

Sounds like a color conversion issue. You are probably editing RGB images in AE, and when you go to compress, the color spaces for the codecs are generally YUV. And the conversion the apps and encoders are doing is not good it appears. On the mac, Compression Master is fantastic at this sort of stuff. On the PC, VirtualDub or AVISynth with the right filters is a good route to go as well.

Return to posts index

persta
Re: Weird video quality issue
on Feb 10, 2006 at 8:59:57 am

Yes, this seems to be the case. It seems like it is a Winows problem because every piece of software I am using is suffering from this, and I am absolutely sure I did not have this problem prior to re-installing my OS.

My system:

P4 2.0 Ghz
Intel D850MV
1GB RDRAM
Canopus Dvstorm2
Matrox G550
Xp Pro Sp2
DirectX 9.0c

Let's see if re-installing everything once more does the trick.

Persta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]