FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVI compression from AE 6.5 Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CharlieChap
AVI compression from AE 6.5 Mac
on Feb 1, 2006 at 1:49:23 pm

Hello,

Need a little help on compression of AVI's, am a slight beginner.

I'm using AfterEffects 6.5 for Mac and my client wants me to output an AVI for the finished product. Should be too much of a problem i hear you say, apart from the file size.

The problem is, they want a more compressed file than the 10GB im currently gave them, with no compression. I cant find how to compress this 10GB file to under a 1GB preferbly on my Mac AE 6.5, to be played on a windows media player 9.

After 25 trials ive come up with Cinepak, millions of colors, best quality, as the best compressor on AE 6.5 but still the qulity is a bit under what i need it. Now, do i have to fiddle with bit rates, because i havn't so far as i dont know how. if so where do i start. can anyone give me a bit rate figure to start from.

Thanks everyone

Charlie

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: AVI compression from AE 6.5 Mac
on Feb 1, 2006 at 8:22:33 pm

The best thing to do is keep the 10GB AVI you currently have, bring it to a PC, download and install VirtualDub and the Lagarith codec, and convert from the uncompressed RGB AVI file you currently have to a Lagarith AVI file. When handing off the file to the client, be sure to include the Lagarith codec so they can play back the file. By using this codec, you can maintain the proper RGB color space of your AE project and deliver a file at around 1.5GB, with excellent quality and almost no loss in perceptible detail. Transcoding to this codec is very fast and will net you a file about 16% of the original's size.

http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html
http://www.virtualdub.org/

Return to posts index

CharlieChap
Re: AVI compression from AE 6.5 Mac
on Feb 2, 2006 at 1:10:29 pm

your a shining star mate, cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]