FORUMS: list search recent posts

showreel compression for flash

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nikkki
showreel compression for flash
on Jan 30, 2006 at 10:56:17 am

Hiya...

I'm trying to compress a 2 minute showreel quicktime (rendered in ae using an animation codec) down to a reasonable size to put it on my flash website. I tried just compressing it through flash but the quality was horrible and i couldnt get the file size down low enough. I've also been experimenting with sorenson spark but still can't match quality with decent file size.

I'm wondering how sites such as http://www.stardust.tv manage to get such awesome quality and have a reel that loads up so crazy fast?! Also not sure how to get the streaming thing happening in flash?

Any compression techniques, tips, or info on getting it streaming in flash would be unreal?!!

Thanks so much in advance!

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: showreel compression for flash
on Jan 30, 2006 at 11:37:50 pm

Most likely they are using the On2VP6 codec to encode their Flash FLVs. This codec will give you the best quality video when encoding for Flash. The codec can be purchased separately for use in apps like Squeeze, or in a basic encoding app from On2. While this codec is very good for web video, the newest version of the Sorenson Spark codec included with Squeeze 4.3 is also quite good.

Return to posts index

nikkki
on Jan 31, 2006 at 12:31:31 am

Thanks! what size should i be looking at getting a 2 min showreel down to at 360x288 pixels?

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 31, 2006 at 12:58:19 am

I would try for somewhere in the 10MB final size range. Here is a good calculator to determine your rates:
http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/

Return to posts index

nikkki
on Jan 31, 2006 at 2:17:02 am

Thanks you've been a great help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]