FORUMS: list search recent posts

do think I can get this better? look at link......

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
duffbeer911
do think I can get this better? look at link......
on Jan 24, 2006 at 4:20:36 am

Hi guys -
I'm trying to get some 30sec spots small enough to put on the web. I'm using QT soreson3. This is about the best I can get it. File is about 7Mb (a bit smaller would be preferable but the quality drops dramatically)

http://www.scbnetwork.com.au/prod_files/small/warehouse.mov

Currently my settings are 35Kbytes/s - keyframe every 50 - 25fps

The video is coming from Pinnalce Liquid Silver (argh). The only other software I have is After Effects and Cleaner 5......

Should I keep trying or is this the best I will get?

Cheers for the help.

Michael Duff -
Southern Cross Ten, Australia

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: do think I can get this better? look at link......
on Jan 25, 2006 at 5:55:44 am

I'm taking a guess that you aren't using the Sorenson Video 3 Professional encoder and are just using the standard version. The pro version costs extra, and can be purchased as just an encoder or bundled into Sorenson's Squeeze 4 app. It includes features such as two-pass encoding and true VBR support. Other options include using a two-pass MPEG-4 Part 2 Simple profile encoder like the one Popwire includes in Compression Master 3. Both codecs will offer about the same quality at the same bit rate. If you are only on a PC, I would recommend Squeeze. On a mac, I'd recommend CM3.

I encode a lot of video for PSP and Video iPod distribution. The frame size for these videos is 368x208, comparable to the frame size of the movie you linked to. At that resolution, I encode my videos at about the same bit rate as you have and they look fantastic (I also use HD sources).

The first flag that I see when I look at you encode is that you have not encoded the audio! If I extract the video track from your movie, I get a file about 2.1MB in size. Your audio is taking up 5MB of the movie! This should definitely be encoded to achieve a more downloadable-friendly file size. If you don't have many tools or codecs at your disposal, I would recommend either MP3 or IMA4:1 if you use SV3 or AAC if you use MPEG-4. Also, if you want to use QT7, there is an excellent multipass H.264 encoder in the Pro version. However, using H.264 forces your user to have QT7 installed, which is not certain, and in many cases not recommended.

Return to posts index

duffbeer911
on Jan 26, 2006 at 12:32:29 am

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!! I didn't realise squeeze was available on PC! I'm about to purchase it. This program will save me hours and hours of grief (many which are already lost :-()

Thanks for taking the time to look at my file and give a detailed explanation.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 26, 2006 at 5:13:58 am

Also, Procoder 2 from Canopus on the PC is very good. For QT and Flash encoding, I'd still go with Squeeze, but for WMV, Real, and MPEG-2, I'd recommend Canopus.

Return to posts index

travis dao
on Jan 31, 2006 at 6:36:25 pm

Hi Charles,

I'm curious when you say for QT encoding you'd use Squeeze for the PC, do you mean QT Sorenson Video 3 encodes? From my tests Cleaner XL does better Sorenson QT video quality than Squeeze using the same bit rate.

-T

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Feb 1, 2006 at 8:36:13 pm

It's a little surprising to read that (in answer to your question, yes, I was refering to SV3 encodes, not general QT encoding)... but I do remember PC Cleaner as being a good product back in the day. Any way, I didn't mention Cleaner because I have pretty much given up on the Cleaner series, as I find it rather insulting they are charging so much for a rather minor upgrade after all of this time (still no support for QT7 or DivX 6 on the PC!). Also, their customer support is terrible and the interface of XL just plain stinks IMHO.

I'd recommend Squeeze over Cleaner XL today because Squeeze comes with the Sorenson Video 3 Pro encoder (saves money if you don't have the pro encoder already) and has a much better interface than Cleaner. Although I will concede that the pre-processing features of Cleaner are probably much better, Sorenson has proven they are committed to continually enhancing development on the product. I used to believe that encoding to SV3 could be done better with apps besides Squeeze, but that was before the release of Squeeze 4.1, which pretty much fixed all of the SV3 issues.

Return to posts index

travis dao
on Feb 3, 2006 at 12:45:12 am

I agree their 1.5 upgrade charge is a bit of a rip-off, but one big advantage Cleaner XL has over Squeeze is that it's optimized for multiple processors. Encoding is way too slow on Squeeze.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Feb 3, 2006 at 3:54:30 pm

Squeeze is optimized for multiple processors, but not all of the encoders it includes are. For instance, the encoders optimized for dual procs in Squeeze are the Sorenson Video 3 codec, their MPEG-2 encoder, their Real Video encoder, and the licensed Windows Media encoder. But the H.264, Spark codec, and On2VP6 encoders are not. On2 not being optimized is out of their hands, but the H.264 and Spark encoders should be. In any case, I wouldn't use Squeeze for H.264 encoding, but the lack of an SMP aware FLV encoder is disappointing.

Return to posts index

travis dao
on Feb 7, 2006 at 10:14:11 pm

Charles,

If Squeeze is optimized for the Sorenson 3 codec it doesn't really show. I'm running a Dell PowerEdge Xeon Dual 2.8 GHz. A 10 minute video that's encoded using Squeeze's Sorenson 3 codec takes about 26 minutes. The same video using Cleaner XL encoding takes 8 minutes. Go figure. 8)

-T

Return to posts index

Gregg
on Feb 10, 2006 at 6:33:11 pm

Quick question or 2.
Why would you not reccommend Squeeze on a Mac?
What is the best way to get 720p HD BlackMagic 8 bit video from FCP into Squeeze?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]